Chick Corea remix/tribute video I made....

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like many of us, I’ve found myself listening to a lot of Chick Corea’s music lately - the breath and scope of which is just staggering. The world its so much better for the enormity of his contribution and yet so much less going forward for the loss of the music he would surely have made in the future. Anyway, all of this lead me to remember this odd little remix version of Space Circus that I created about 20 years ago, back when digital audio editing, sampling, etc. was all pretty much new. This was probably done in early Digital Performer or maybe even StudioVision. The additional drums are a combination of programmed and played (particularly the cymbals IIRC) - have no idea what I was using from programming and sounds back then.

Anyway - I dug up the file - remastered it a bit - and through together this sort of tribute video. Hope you like it.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like many of us, I’ve found myself listening to a lot of Chick Corea’s music lately - the breath and scope of which is just staggering. The world its so much better for the enormity of his contribution and yet so much less going forward for the loss of the music he would surely have made in the future. Anyway, all of this lead me to remember this odd little remix version of Space Circus that I created about 20 years ago, back when digital audio editing, sampling, etc. was all pretty much new. This was probably done in early Digital Performer or maybe even StudioVision. The additional drums are a combination of programmed and played (particularly the cymbals IIRC) - have no idea what I was using from programming and sounds back then.

Anyway - I dug up the file - remastered it a bit - and through together this sort of tribute video. Hope you like it.

Hey David that is really cool, some great reworking of his ideas. Just curious, you say that is 20 years old, how much easier is that to pull off today with the available programs?

I fully agree, his contribution to the world of music was simply staggering. Hard to believe that such a constant presence like his has passed.

I've been listening to a lot of Chick Corea's material lately, and I must say I have a new found appreciation for Lenny White. Not that I ever thought he was less than great, but I hear him doing a lot of things with RTF (over the bar line playing, odd groupings etc..) that would set the stage for the next generation of drummers. (I know Billy Cobham and others were similar things as well, I had just never been that focused on LW's playing).

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed that Dave! A nice tribute. I remember Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy well. The syncing to the track from 48-55 is great. A good reminder just how prolific Chic was is so many genres. Amazing.