Chick Corea Roy Haynes cymbal

dingaling

Reaction score
Just picked one up. Chick Corea Royalty ride. Amazing, 250 limited edition series from Sabian. 18” flat ride modeled after Roy’s actual cymbal.
Comes with a card signed by Chick. Sounds just like the video (and records). Not sure how I missed these before now. Some left on reverb.

Here’s the video link from before they were released by Chick.

kallen49

Reaction score
thanks for posting as it caused me to look at Reverb, where it’s available from CAN $454 to $633,
then checked my local Canadian music chain where a used one was on sale for CAN $309. (equals US $260 as of today), has the certificate, bag, small stick marks.

Sign of our times I guess. The original purchaser returned it (apparently wasn’t using it), at a big loss which I hope is my gain.

Foolishly sold my 18” Paiste 2002 flat many years ago. Later had a Sabian AA flat for a while.
I get they are only useful for some gigs. I have had and hope to soon again have gigs in small spaces with only acoustic instuments.
If it’s really great it will become what I call a “family heirloom” cymbal.
I won’t get it until next week but will post a review when I do.

Last edited:

dingaling

Reaction score
I always use a flat for jazz. Since the 90’s I’ve had a 20” zildjian k flat with 3 rivets. This will give that one a break. Don’t think I’ll be adding rivets to this one. It’s much thinner than my other one and has some nice wash.
Could see it being great for singer songwriter gigs too.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love me some Chick, RIP brother, but I'd like to hear a proper demo of this great cymbal. I really hate when guys just randomly whack away at cymbals, especially when there talking!

But from what I can hear, it sounds great, especially for an 18"!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, now that's a proper demo of a very nice flat ride!

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Sabian Custom Shop one around Christmas time that I can only guess is a prototype of this cymbal for about 1/2 the price. It is nice. it's just a tiny bit lighter and darker.

I just wish I could afford one of the Weckl flat rides.

Reactions: Ang

Ang

Reaction score
I picked up a Sabian Custom Shop one around Christmas time that I can only guess is a prototype of this cymbal for about 1/2 the price. It is nice. it's just a tiny bit lighter and darker.

I just wish I could afford one of the Weckl flat rides.
The Weckl flat ride sounded beautiful in every video demo I’ve seen. That’s a special one.

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up #35 of the 250 last week.

I have played flats since the 70’s - mostly Paiste (602,2002, and Traditionals), but also Sabian HH, Zildjian K, and a Soul-tone.

My impressions:

Nice cymbal; clear stick as you would expect, less wash than I am used to with most of my other flats, and a bit of an ‘A like’ sound. Pretty quiet in comparison to my other flats when using the shoulder or crashing.

Looking at a frequency analysis my 602 18 is flatter (no pun intended) and has more energy from 4 to 8K, while the Sabian has a pronounced valley at 3k and peak around 4k, and then falls off quickly.

Doesn’t sound like any of my Paiste flats. Or like the recordings of Chick’s cymbal to my ear. It is drier.

May be as thin as my 18 602, and lighter than most of my others. Still stiff though and will be given the Elvin mallet treatment.

Haven’t played it with a band yet, or recorded it.

But again, a nice cymbal. I like it. And I dig the story behind it.

kallen49

Reaction score
Thanks for that information. I purchased #16 of 250. I agree it is a very quiet cymbal. Maybe the quietest ride I've ever heard? That is what I was looking for so I'm happy.

I don't have a frequency analyzer but, to me, the low frequency heard when you put your ear close to the edge of the vibrating cymbal is astonishing.

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to using it on an acoustic jazz gig as I think it will sit nicely in the mix.

While I have used flats for a long time, of late I have been using them as my main ride. I think it has to do with my old ears and the lower volume levels at gigs. Lovely sound anyway.

FYI the frequency analyzer I used was an iPhone app called Decibel X:db Sound.

I’m interested in seeing what it comes back close the edge as you noted.

Kallen, have you gigged with it yet?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sabian releasing the Roy Haynes Paiste Flat Ride given to Chick Corea has to have..
wait for it
caught Paiste Flat footed yes/no..

kallen49

Reaction score
I am looking forward to using it on an acoustic jazz gig as I think it will sit nicely in the mix.

While I have used flats for a long time, of late I have been using them as my main ride. I think it has to do with my old ears and the lower volume levels at gigs. Lovely sound anyway.

FYI the frequency analyzer I used was an iPhone app called Decibel X:db Sound.

I’m interested in seeing what it comes back close the edge as you noted.

Kallen, have you gigged with it yet?
Sadly no bars or venues are open in Ontario yet. Sidewalk cafes only.
Getting my 2nd jab in one week. Fingers crossed we will be playing before the summer is over.

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sabian releasing the Roy Haynes Paiste Flat Ride given to Chick Corea has to have..
wait for it
caught Paiste Flat footed yes/no..
Ha!

I’m sure there were some raised eyebrows.

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly no bars or venues are open in Ontario yet. Sidewalk cafes only.
Getting my 2nd jab in one week. Fingers crossed we will be playing before the summer is over.
I had my first gig last weekend since the pandemic started. Great to play with others again.

I hope you are back in action soon.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
how hard would it be for Paiste
to order make and catalog a 602 18" Thin Flat ride to late 60s spec.

It'd take a morning
Kind of boggles the mind (shame on them)
why Paiste let- the 602 Flat Ride 18" circle the drain
Think they at one time had 3 or 4 weight/versions if you include the SSS, etc.

18" 602 Flat ride was one of their claims to fame.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always use a flat for jazz. Since the 90’s I’ve had a 20” zildjian k flat with 3 rivets. This will give that one a break. Don’t think I’ll be adding rivets to this one. It’s much thinner than my other one and has some nice wash.
Could see it being great for singer songwriter gigs too.
I thought Roy’s cymbal on Now He Sings was a 602 18” flat ride?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
add (model) Thin to that and you thought right

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Weckl flat ride sounded beautiful in every video demo I’ve seen. That’s a special one.
Really? I thought the 21’s sound was a bit too washy. Not at all like my Paiste Sound Formula.