China for quiet riding - suggestions?

Pibroch

Reaction score
What should I audition for quiet jazz and soft pop / rock? Obviously thinking along the lines of something even sounding and controllable - maybe a 14” Paiste of some sort?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
14? To ride? that's quiet. Thinking more of an 18" brass Pearl CX500 china I have that's quiet. 20 A. 70s Swish I have is pretty strong. 18" 70s 602 SSS I have can be quietly ridden. Have a 16" A. Swish smaller ones are pretty noisy. Larger can be ridden quietly around 18".

TPC

Reaction score
Surpringly, given the diameter and weight, a 22” Sound Creation Dark China is quite quiet and polite as a ride. Extremely ... contained.

Admittedly not the most available or affordable option, but it fits the description to a tee.

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like the Agop Signature or Turk chinas. They have a nice warmth to them. I’d check out some YouTube videos and see which ones catch your ear.

Reaction score
Surpringly, given the diameter and weight, a 22” Sound Creation Dark China is quite quiet and polite as a ride. Extremely ... contained.

Admittedly not the most available or affordable option, but it fits the description to a tee.
YUP !!!!!!!! You can ride a 22" SCDChina with brushes or lightly with sticks. I do this all the time in jazz. It's great behind bass solos and sounds nice on Bossa's. I LOVE this sound, and if you mix up playing on different parts of the surface it is very easily expressive and controllable. I can coax some pretty nice tones out of it when it is up high to the left and really close to me, and when it's there I don't play it too much.

The new 602 Modern Essential 22" Chinas are VERY close to the SCDChina's, and although not real cheap, much more accessible (i.e. easier to find) than the 22" SCDChina.

I just posted this elsewhere (sorry,) but I think I ride my SCDChina in this clip a few times.

MSG

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20" A china low can be nice. Light weight and a dark sound. A lot of chinas have an aggressive presenece that can get loud very fast.
As Jeff Hamilton points out, you might need to play the china more quietly (lower stroke) than your other rides.

Pibroch

Reaction score
YUP !!!!!!!! You can ride a 22" SCDChina with brushes or lightly with sticks. I do this all the time in jazz. It's great behind bass solos and sounds nice on Bossa's. I LOVE this sound, and if you mix up playing on different parts of the surface it is very easily expressive and controllable. I can coax some pretty nice tones out of it when it is up high to the left and really close to me, and when it's there I don't play it too much.

The new 602 Modern Essential 22" Chinas are VERY close to the SCDChina's, and although not real cheap, much more accessible (i.e. easier to find) than the 22" SCDChina.

I just posted this elsewhere (sorry,) but I think I ride my SCDChina in this clip a few times.

MSG
Thanks - found a DCP demo vid of a 602 ME 22" - scrumptious!

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Paiste Traditionals Medium Light China, 18" and it's pretty subdued, mellow, and polite with a light, easy touch. It'll open up if you wail on it, but that's not really its forte.

Unfortunately, it's been out of production for a while now, but they're out there.

cplueard

Reaction score
Dream pang. I'm a sabian guy through and through but these things are unbelievably smooth sounding.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The most "polite" I for me are the 22" Paiste Masters Swish or Sabian HHX. Plenty of Turkish made Chinas out there as well that fit the bill. I have a big 21" Soultone custom brilliant RA that is razor thin and rides really well.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A China that is mild enough to use as a ride, quiet enough for low volume gigs?

Easy answer: an early '70s Zildjian A series 18" Swish cymbal. Pop in four rivets for one of the loveliest, mellow ride sounds you're ever heard.

GeeDeeEmm