Chinas

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I was watching a video regarding chinas the other day. The guy was playing 3 different chinas on a kit. Now I was brought up in the 80s so I thought the inverted china was the norm. Sometime in 99/00 I got a K mini china. I mounted it & played it inverted & one day I tried it normal with the flared edge up so the cymbal sits like a crash or ride. It sounded a lot better. Watching the video I mentioned the guy had them set up that way too. A lot of my drummer friends say it's wrong. I say f-that. When mounted with the edge up you can play it as a ride. The mini china sounds like ass as a ride but my 20" sounds cool. You have to handle them more like splashes. Who else mounts their chinas that way?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
since the drumset was invented in the teens and 20s Chinese cymbals were available and were played either way..

Look here:

I like em right side up because they're softer not as Rude; altho if you need them as a one-shot of rude-crash you're better off with them upside down

Right side up- ride
Upside down- crash

Altho can do ride or crash either way.
If used as a Crash right side up you risk hit cracking the edge.
So use your head it's the little things that count.

Last edited:

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That whole inverted china, bashing it on the &’s is so ‘80s. I use mine the “regular” way.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That whole inverted china, bashing it on the &’s is so ‘80s. I use mine the “regular” way.
- The first person I saw use a Chinese cymbal was Bill Cobham, with Mahavishnu in 1972. He is also the first person I've seen use a China.

Here is a picture Jeff Kent took of him with one, not inverted, with Dreams, probably in a rehearsal. http://www.michaelbreckerliverecordings.com/Pictures/Picturegallery/1970 Dreams (2) websized.jpg

Mel Lewis, in his mid 80's workshop video, talks about Bill getting that idea from him.

70's Drummer

Reaction score
I have a Zildjian 20 in. A Custom China. I also play it with flange up and flat. I set it up low so I can ride it or crash it and it has a “lush” sound to me.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bettis called that a reverse china. I'm surprised all cymbal companies don't offer one in their catalog.