Choosing a Ride Cymbal by Wash

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I have three ride cymbals competing for a position on one stand, and after repeatedly comparing them, it occurs to me that the main thing that distinguishes them is their wash. Actually, it further occurs to me that the main distinguishing feature of any ride cymbal is its wash--how much, its tonal colors, etc.--but that's a bigger topic I'll ignore.

For now, let me describe the wash of my three contending rides and ask for opinions regarding which ride others would choose, perhaps for which styles of music. No, I'm not going to tell the makes, sizes, or weights of the cymbals. The only issue here is wash, based on my verbal description.

Cymbal #1: This is not a ping or a dry ride, but it has the least amount of wash. The wash is also contained within a fairly narrow band of overtones, which I'd characterize as veering dark and subdued.

Cymbal #2: This cymbal has more wash, and while the wash is also contained within a fairly narrow band of overtones, it comes across as brighter and a bit more in your face. I wouldn't though call this a washy cymbal, just washier than many.

Cymbal #3: I'm not sure that this cymbal is washier than Cymbal #2, but it may be. The most pronounced characteristic of its wash is its broad range. Fortunately, I don't hear off-putting dissonance, but the range of overtones is so broad that I'm not sure whether it's bright or dark. It's kind of both, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's trashy.

I'm forming opinions about all three cymbals--their best fits mainly--but at this point would rather keep my opinions to myself and ask if others have opinions based up these brief descriptions. Anyone willing to offer an opinion?

(BTW, all are quality cymbals, and this isn't a trick to foist a Krut on anyone. They're all also somewhere in the medium weight range and either 20" or 22". Any I think could be played by most drummers in most situations, so the selection needs to be somewhat refined.)

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tend to favor drier, and as of late, slightly trashier Rides, so based on your descriptions I'd be inclined to spend more time with number one and number three. Choosing a single to live on that stand, I'd likely go with number three, which I'd like to take a guess at by saying it's either a Paiste or and Agop.

Edited to add that my choice of number three is based on its likelihood of being the most versatile of your described trio. It sounds like it could cover just about anything you'd want to play.

Out of curiosity, do the characteristics of the bells factor in here at all?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Decide what type of drummer you want to be and suit the equipment to 'that..
i.e. 'Where your Heart lies is where your gear should be.
Gotta have a Belief System : ) and be 'that' Boy.
I have No problem knowing who I "am" behind the drums : ) (lol)
Then, you move 'past' the (physical) instrument's (it's been decided) themselves, and get to applying yourself to the music in front of you.
Every time every place

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Old Drummer. I love the concept and idea of your thread. However.

I would rather hear the rides or see a nice video than read a description.

Just my humble opinion

Its kind of like you describing three meals.

But i wont really know unless I actually taste the meal..if I like it or not. Otherwise its just a guess.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Just my humble opinion

But i wont really know unless I actually taste the meal..if I like it or not. Otherwise its just a guess.
“Describe blue....”

Without pictures.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Like said above I think 3 is the best because of it being either dark or light. More complex. It will hang in more situations. The thing is, the stick or ping is another element of the sound you haven't mentioned at all. For instance if number 3 has little or no ping then number one becomes more enticing, because you want some ping to cut through. Sometimes, wash doesn't get through anything depending on what volume you're playing at. You could have a k custom dry that has a great ping sound that sounds great with electric music, the wash isn't as important at that point.

Conversely too much wash can be a deal breaker too, but you can do things to tame the cymbal. I am not crazy about a cymbal that has a bright only wash. So based on your description I would order the potential preference (agree with Tom hearing is everything): 3, 1, 2.

D

Drummer1990

I played 10 different Zildjian Rides before I came to the A Custom Medium 22"

My best advice I can give you without sounding stupid or funny. Choose the one you think sounds best an go with it :)

I've had my A custom med ride for 8 years it's not let me down or cracked yet (knock on bronze??? lol)

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Maybe if you don’t know then none of them. Keep searching.
This is among my thoughts too. But I'm kind of thinking that past a point there isn't "the one" and you just learn to love the one you're with.

I also agree with your other answer that maybe all of them, depending on the situation. The different rides seem to lend themselves to different styles and performance environments. The frustrating thing for me now is that two of them are recent acquisitions and I don't know how they work in live settings, thanks to the damn virus.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I tend to favor drier, and as of late, slightly trashier Rides, so based on your descriptions I'd be inclined to spend more time with number one and number three. Choosing a single to live on that stand, I'd likely go with number three, which I'd like to take a guess at by saying it's either a Paiste or and Agop.

Edited to add that my choice of number three is based on its likelihood of being the most versatile of your described trio. It sounds like it could cover just about anything you'd want to play.

Out of curiosity, do the characteristics of the bells factor in here at all?
Well, you're mistaken about the brand of #3, though it's odd enough that you couldn't guess anyway. That aside (I'll fess up later) my sense is that #3 is actually the more "professional" of the cymbals, so to speak. It may be the more versatile too, but the greater range of overtones seems mostly to give more to work with. It may though not be as easy to control.

Unfortunately, #1 isn't really dry, just drier than the others, so I'm not going to get "that sound" out of it. A fellow drummer commented that "it sounds about like you'd expect a ride to sound," and I rather agree. It's a fine cymbal, just not anything special one way or the other. Actually, my main practical reservation about it is that it may not carry enough for loud volumes while it isn't nuanced enough to delight at low volumes.

As for excluding #2, my thinking is that it may be best for a lot of rock and country, although #3 may cover those bases as well, while also having something more left for jazz.

I'm not a big bell player, but I'd say that all the bells are fine. Probably #3 has the best bell, but nobody in the audience hearing the bells of #1 or #2 is going to say, "That bell sucks."

Old Drummer

Reaction score

Just my humble opinion

1. Bacon and eggs, hash browns, toast, and coffee.

2. Club sandwich with fries, slaw, a dill pickle, and Coke.

3. Lobster tails on a bed of rice, butter, tossed salad, a sauteed vegetable medley, and an open bar.

Now, can you imagine the different flavors of these meals or must you taste them all first?

I actually thought of you when I didn't post sound files, though that's not hard for me to neglect when I don't even have a smartphone much less fancier recording gear.

Nothing wrong with your opinion, well, except that it may be too specific. I suspect that generalizations can be made from wash alone, even though in any specific case (and probably many specific cases) those generalizations will be wrong

Pibroch

Reaction score
When it comes to wash I gravitate to cymbals where the attack is short and the wash seems to start after the attack is fully finished. Sort of the opposite to where everything is happening at once, so to speak.

How do your three cymbals differ in terms of how their sound unfolds over time?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. Bacon and eggs, hash browns, toast, and coffee.

2. Club sandwich with fries, slaw, a dill pickle, and Coke.

3. Lobster tails on a bed of rice, butter, tossed salad, a sauteed vegetable medley, and an open bar.

Now, can you imagine the different flavors of these meals or must you taste them all first?

I actually thought of you when I didn't post sound files, though that's not hard for me to neglect when I don't even have a smartphone much less fancier recording gear.

Nothing wrong with your opinion, well, except that it may be too specific. I suspect that generalizations can be made from wash alone, even though in any specific case (and probably many specific cases) those generalizations will be wrong

Well then. I don't like any of them because I am on the keto diet. All your meals(cymbals) have carbs in them :p :p

If I had to I would just take ride number one without the hash browns or toast. So probably take ride number one and send it to a cymbal smith to shave off 100-200 grams.

Last edited:

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Well then. I don't like any of them because I am on the keto diet. All your meals(cymbals) have carbs in them :p :p

If I had to I would just take ride number one without the hash browns or toast. So probably take ride number one and send it to a cymbal smith to shave off 100-200 grams.
Actually, after I posted I realized that two of my meals included bacon. This made me think that consistency requires wrapping the lobster tails in bacon too.

If there's a cymbal equivalent to bacon, that might be the way to go. Almost everything is better with bacon.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
When it comes to wash I gravitate to cymbals where the attack is short and the wash seems to start after the attack is fully finished. Sort of the opposite to where everything is happening at once, so to speak.

How do your three cymbals differ in terms of how their sound unfolds over time?
Interested concept, and new to me. I just tried all three, and couldn't tell any difference, although if I struck more with the tip of the tip, attack and wash were most separate in #1, then #3, and last #2.

As for unfolding over time, this seems a different issue, more one of the build up of wash. But I think I'd put the cymbals in the same order, with #1 having the least build up, #3 second, and #2 the most, although #3 can build up a lot over time too and #1 isn't dry.