Chris Dave's influence...

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While we're talking about CD, I wanted to reshare this song here which I think is an absolute masterclass on how to add extra color and spice to a modern ballad in a completely unselfish way.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
OK, so I have fallen down the YouTube rabbit hole now, thanks to this thread. Good stuff!

drums1225

Reaction score
Chris Dave is a generationally influential player who has furthered, if not fostered, a movement of legit jazz drummers with hip hop in their DNA. His early incorporation of the Dilla feel is a relatively recent "shiny new object" for drummers who didn't grow up on hip hop, but many of today's jazz drummers have been hip to Dilla for 25 years.

Non-quantized grooves go against everything most of us have ever learned, and I absolutely love that. It's such a foreign concept to me, but it's so cool to have something "new" and fresh to check out, and eventually assimilate into my creative playing.

There's no denying that J. Dilla's non-quantized grooves brought on a seismic shift to the concept of groove, the likes of which haven't been seen in decades. Chris Dave is one of the pioneers of that movement on the drum set. Combined with his otherworldly concept, insane chops, and the ability to play just about anything he dreams up, he's a force to be reckoned with. Influential on the level of Tony? I wouldn't go that far, but for this and future generations, he's held in the highest regard. Time will tell how far and long his influence reaches.

billcosby_sweater

Reaction score
Chris dave is a monster. I'm not sure he has had the same influence as Tony but maybe in time people will look back at him in the same way. He certainly is a leading figure in modern jazz Drumset.

toddbishop

Reaction score
Chris Dave is a generationally influential player who has furthered, if not fostered, a movement of legit jazz drummers with hip hop in their DNA. His early incorporation of the Dilla feel is a relatively recent "shiny new object" for drummers who didn't grow up on hip hop, but many of today's jazz drummers have been hip to Dilla for 25 years.

Non-quantized grooves go against everything most of us have ever learned, and I absolutely love that. It's such a foreign concept to me, but it's so cool to have something "new" and fresh to check out, and eventually assimilate into my creative playing.

There's no denying that J. Dilla's non-quantized grooves brought on a seismic shift to the concept of groove, the likes of which haven't been seen in decades.
I was never in favor of quantized grooves to begin with, so quantized vs non-quantized isn’t a thing to me. To me that type of rhythm is an artificial stylistic thing just based on copying what DJs we’re doing. In the hands of some extremely talented players, it sounds hip. But you don’t just reinvent the concept of groove in a couple of years by doing something hip. I’m talking about groove in the sense of African, Brazilian, and Caribbean musicians who invented it, and made it into a high art.

And I’ve heard enough records with lesser people attempting, and none of it makes it, a lot of it just sounds terrible. If you compare some of that stuff to eg an Eddie Kendricks record— if groove as a principle has any meaning beyond “a drum pattern”— there is no comparison. It becomes really obvious the first thing is missing something fundamental.

Not trying to dump on anyone— I’m just not convinced that particular stylistic thing is going to be a lasting thing.

Last edited:

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think today's defining jazz drummer is Marcus Gilmore. Perhaps Eric Harland if you like a little more silk. Of course time will tell.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’re correct, that Chris’ influence is now eclipsing Tony’s, the question is the answer actually. If Chris was heavily influenced by Tony - which he was (but also by Jack Dejohnette, Elvin Jones and Max Roach) then that influence is only expanded and amplified by Chris’ success. It’s not the olympics. You don’t win by conquering. It’s additive, expansive and cumulative. Points on a continuum. Not pinnacles.