Christmas snare drum gift/giveaway from Summit Drums!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Met Gary this morning and got this drum - my first Single-ply - my new Summit Spanish Cedar 6.5x13. It looks great!!! Can’t wait to get her on the stand at church. Thanks again to Gary and Jeremy. Hopefully this is a start of a much better year.
I’m so glad to hear it’s home with you! I hope you’ll give us a review and FULLY ENJOY IT!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here she is behind my kit (PDP FS Birch 22, 12, 14)! At home it seemed a little higher than I usually tune, so when I got to church I dropped it around a 1/4 turn or so. The organist was playing up in the balcony the whole time before the service, so I was just trusting it would sound good!!

And, man, did it ever!! Nice fat solid backbeat, and the cross-stick was perfect! Just a nice full, fat sound. Brushwork came out nice and crisp too. After the service the pianist mentioned that he "loved the new snare. It was very live". Don't often get compliments from church piano players! :)

The only thing i may change down the road is the Aquarian HiPerformance snare-side head. I think those are a little thicker than I am used to. But then again, I won't be doing much delicate PPP snare work in a building this big.

My Slingerland Festival got displaced to the left, and the Pork Pie Nyatoh went home, for now. My wife said "how many snares can you have set up at one time?" I said 3, for sure!! Just need another snare stand.

So again thanks to Jeremy and Gary, and all the DFOers, for this awesome drum. It doesn't make up for the absolutely poopy year that was 2021 (and 2020, for that matter), but it sure starts this year off right!

(sorry for the blurry pics - didn't know I was in "Portrait Mode!")

Attachments

• Drums2.jpg
    Drums2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Drums3.jpg
    Drums3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Drums4.jpg
    Drums4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 28

Summit

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, here she is behind my kit (PDP FS Birch 22, 12, 14)! At home it seemed a little higher than I usually tune, so when I got to church I dropped it around a 1/4 turn or so. The organist was playing up in the balcony the whole time before the service, so I was just trusting it would sound good!!

And, man, did it ever!! Nice fat solid backbeat, and the cross-stick was perfect! Just a nice full, fat sound. Brushwork came out nice and crisp too. After the service the pianist mentioned that he "loved the new snare. It was very live". Don't often get compliments from church piano players! :)

The only thing i may change down the road is the Aquarian HiPerformance snare-side head. I think those are a little thicker than I am used to. But then again, I won't be doing much delicate PPP snare work in a building this big.

My Slingerland Festival got displaced to the left, and the Pork Pie Nyatoh went home, for now. My wife said "how many snares can you have set up at one time?" I said 3, for sure!! Just need another snare stand.

So again thanks to Jeremy and Gary, and all the DFOers, for this awesome drum. It doesn't make up for the absolutely poopy year that was 2021 (and 2020, for that matter), but it sure starts this year off right!

(sorry for the blurry pics - didn't know I was in "Portrait Mode!")
I’m so glad you enjoy playing it and the description of “live” is just perfect!! I strive to build drums with life and a wide tuning range!!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to do a little Googling, and found out the Aquarian Hi-Performance snare side head is the same 3mil thickness as the Ludwig X-Thin, so I'm glad I didn't bother changing it out. We are actually doing a sound check before church this week (as having a drummer is new to them), so I may get a chance to mess with tuning a little.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I decided to do a little Googling, and found out the Aquarian Hi-Performance snare side head is the same 3mil thickness as the Ludwig X-Thin
The regular snare side head was out of stock when I was ordering. I have used the Hi-Performance head before and it works well on some drums...YMMV but I at least wanted to make sure the drum came complete! Lol.

Does your church have an option to watch online? I would love to hear it, of course live streams aren't always the best representation of a drum's acoustic sound, but still.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, we had some time to rehearse this morning, an I decided to try a little higher tuning on the Summit. I think I may have gone a whole turn or more. Gave it a tap, and thought "Wow, I'm ready for a Spin Doctors cover band!!" It was killing, but too high for what I need, so I let it down some. Still had lots of body, and a great cross stick too! Nice to knw the snare sounds good at many different tunings. Loving it more every week.

AND...my wife said I can get the Stage Customs in Raven Black that I've been looking at. They will coordinate better with the Summit better than the black-to-red-fade I have now, according to her!!

Here's the livestreams: https://www.bethanyparma.org/livestream I played the Summit on Jan 9th and 16th. I haven't listened yet, so I have no idea how the sound is.

Attachments

• 8082784E-9BD5-4353-B67A-6FC1BEF59C89.jpeg
    8082784E-9BD5-4353-B67A-6FC1BEF59C89.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15
  • F7AF8F48-ABE0-4768-8A86-3065493DC723.jpeg
    F7AF8F48-ABE0-4768-8A86-3065493DC723.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3FEE5168-56C7-45E5-B0ED-48872FB23044.jpeg
    3FEE5168-56C7-45E5-B0ED-48872FB23044.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was the second place finisher and got a cymbal for someone who is down. It reached Portland and made my guy happy for the first time in awhile. It’s tough to live where he does right now to. Seems like nobody has anything but anger towards one another I guess? Thanks again

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
So, we had some time to rehearse this morning, an I decided to try a little higher tuning on the Summit. I think I may have gone a whole turn or more. Gave it a tap, and thought "Wow, I'm ready for a Spin Doctors cover band!!" It was killing, but too high for what I need, so I let it down some. Still had lots of body, and a great cross stick too! Nice to knw the snare sounds good at many different tunings. Loving it more every week.
Thanks for the report and sharing your live stream! I wish they had a camera shot closer on the band, but it was good to hear you play the drum.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the report and sharing your live stream! I wish they had a camera shot closer on the band, but it was good to hear you play the drum.

Yeah, I love that the “screen” is right over me. :(

And sorry you had to listen to me play. :)