ChromaCast Drum Bags

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Their Pro Series offerings look nice & durable but their canvas bags are essentially lightweight junk, I know because a friend has those.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of sets of them and have been schlepping them around for about 3 years. They don’t get rough treatment from me but they seem to work as well as my Ahead bags. The extra compartment is a pretty cool idea too. I would recommend them.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought a full set of them via Walmart at some really low clearance prices. While they aren't on par with the faux lambswool bags (Drumseeker, Protection Racket, Ahead) they aren't bad, especially considering the price I paid (I think I paid $12 for the 8x12 case and $40 for the 14x22 bass drum case with the others ranging in between) .
Probably about the same level of protection as the Barton bags although not as cool looking as those. They do have an extra compartment for spare heads or whatever that none of the others have. The outside is a fake leather vinyl sort of stuff so perhaps a bit more water resistant than the nylon weave of the other cases. Interior is black fake fur. I have my Psychedelic Red set in these bags and they seem to do the trick okay. I haven't had them that long to know how well they'll hold up over the long haul but so far they have been fine and I think they are "good enough" as long as I'm hauling my own drums.

I'd buy more Chromacast if the price was as low as before, I'd probably chose Bartons if the price were the same or really close. I'd spring for Drumseekers if the prices for either were really close to the H & B product. Drumseekers represent the best overall value in Drum bags in my opinion although I like the Aheads or Beato Pro bags best of all if money is no object.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the Aheads or Beato Pro bags best of all if money is no object.
What do you see as the difference between the two of these? Is one softer inside where it lays against the shell? Does one have thicker and/or sturdier foam?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
What do you see as the difference between the two of these? Is one softer inside where it lays against the shell? Does one have thicker and/or sturdier foam?
Aheads are similar to the others as far as protection (foam and fake lambswool) but have a teardrop shape which I like. Beato Pros are a bit different but made in the USA (all the rest come from China) and just seem a bit sturdier and probably more weather resistant. There are imported Beatos too which are completely different and just "okay".

Ludwig Atlas (the red ones) are really nice too with stiff sides.

I did a video on these (before I had the Chromacast or Bartons and not including the Beatos)

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beato Pro 1's are rainproof and fire resistant. Lifetime warranty. Ahead is two years I think. I've had some that were used for 20 years without issue gigging. Battle tested- and you are supporting a sweetheart of a guy out of California (Fred, the owner).

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aheads are similar to the others as far as protection (foam and fake lambswool) but have a teardrop shape which I like. Beato Pros are a bit different but made in the USA (all the rest come from China) and just seem a bit sturdier and probably more weather resistant. There are imported Beatos too which are completely different and just "okay".

I did a video on these (before I had the Chromacast or Bartons and not including the Beatos)

That's You?!?! I just watched that video the other day. Nicely done.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 Chromacast snare bags. The first generation bags had a bad handle design. They have redesigned the handle and works great now. The weird part is their website still shows the old design of the handle. The extra pocket for drum heads is very nice. Protects my snare drums very well. As said before, I think this bag is more weather resistance than most other soft bags. The only thing I wouldn't trust on these bags is the included shoulder strap. It will not last part-time gigging. However the carry handle is fine and strong now. All zippers are easy to use and seem to hold up well. Some reviews mention bad zippers, but I don't seem to have that problem at all.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beato Pro 1's are rainproof and fire resistant. Lifetime warranty. Ahead is two years I think. I've had some that were used for 20 years without issue gigging. Battle tested- and you are supporting a sweetheart of a guy out of California (Fred, the owner).

Beato Pro 1's are probably the best out there (I have a set). And that video is very effective in showing how impervious they are to the elements. But I cringe every time I hear him scrape that tom across his concrete pool deck.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beato Pro 1's are probably the best out there (I have a set). And that video is very effective in showing how impervious they are to the elements. But I cringe every time I hear him scrape that tom across his concrete pool deck.
Ugh...I thought the same thing. It was like chewing on tinfoil. The padding in those bags is similar or better than the Ahead bags?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ugh...I thought the same thing. It was like chewing on tinfoil. The padding in those bags is similar or better than the Ahead bags?
It's a different type of padding. Kind of like a felt lining. The sides seem stiffer than the other bags mentioned.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But I cringe every time I hear him scrape that tom across his concrete pool deck.
Ha! I was cringing when he sat on that totally drenched drum throne. Now he's gotta go change out of his shorts! I guess he didn't think that the drum dunk was going to splash all over the throne (or maybe he just doesn't mind it).

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 20 Chromacast snare bags. The first generation bags had a bad handle design. They have redesigned the handle and works great now. The weird part is their website still shows the old design of the handle. The extra pocket for drum heads is very nice. Protects my snare drums very well. As said before, I think this bag is more weather resistance than most other soft bags. The only thing I wouldn't trust on these bags is the included shoulder strap. It will not last part-time gigging. However the carry handle is fine and strong now. All zippers are easy to use and seem to hold up well. Some reviews mention bad zippers, but I don't seem to have that problem at all.
Yes. I had the same experience. I bought a snare bag and bass bag a couple of years ago from Walmart online mainly because of the price. The bass bag has held up well but the handle on the snare bag broke almost immediatelu, and this is not a drum that I use regularly. But i recently bought another bass bag, $40, so we’ll see how that goes.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

That was an excellent assessment of the various bags on the market, and I agree with your findings regarding Ahead Armor, Protection Racket, and H&B Drum Seeker bags.

The best bang for buck to me are H&B Drum Seekers. Well made, fairly roomy and slightly heavier than the other two, they do their job well. But those long handles. UGH. I think the intent is to allow you to carry more than one drum in each hand without them banging together, but I'd much prefer normal handles like the others. If they did that, I'd move them to number one.

Protection Rackets are well made, but two slight drawbacks for me: tight fit and higher price.

Ahead Armors are as durable as the other two, and that teardrop shape and long zipper makes for a very versatile bag. I can even fit a 9x13 inside an 8x12 bag.

Of the three, I'd rank based on quality, value, and versatility. Therefore (for me), Ahead Armor at the top, followed by H&B Drum Seeker, and then Protection Racket.