Chrome Removal and Replating Services

Genistas

Reaction score
Hello!

I've heard having items re-chromed can be very expensive, and that it's best to save up your pieces and have them done at once to save money.

I would like to know if anybody here ever works with a company who does this and will accept a job to do lots of small pieces (lugs, hoops, mounting brackets, etc...)

If so, what kind of cost does it incur?

Finally, do you typically remove the old chrome yourself or do they do it for you?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I called a place once to check into doing this myself but it was more than 10bucks per lug and it was a Kent drumkit so it was definitely not worth it. I bought some used stuff from eBay instead. My dad has all his old brass doorknobs and fixtures replated with brass and he found a place that gave him a deal. He had to wait until the guy had another client doing a huge amount of plating and he threw my dad’s stuff in with that and cut his price down significantly.
I have been working on some old rusty drums during the pandemic and actually learned how to nickel plate myself. There are a lot of vids on YouTube explaining how it’s done, not too hard and it made an enormous difference. Good luck with the project!!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a hold of Jeff Burke , he's around FB Rogers Drums groups. The man has a solid connection for all things to be stripped and plated. I believe it's in Texas

microswitch

Reaction score
I worked in a company that made Faucet. They opened up a Plating section becasue it would make economical sense instead of sending the piece out for plating.
For re chroming the process is as such;
1) wire the pieces to a metal frame ( So there is electricity to the piece)
2) Dip into cleaning solution tank ( sometimes Ultrasound cleaner is used)
3) Dip in reclaim tank with negative electricity so the old chrome is removed
4) Dip Cleaning tank. (Again)
5) Inspect... if piece have imperfection like little holes or pitting then go to buffing machine
6) Clean
7) Dip in Copper tank
8) Clean
9) dip in Nickel tank
10) clean
11) Dip in Chrome tank
12 Final clean
13) Air Dry and pack

The more piece you try to chrome the cheaper per piece it will be. Most of the cost on chroming is the preparation not the amount of chrome. Below a typical wiring rack.

There are some home made kit where you could plate yourself but the result are never never what you want. Either do it right or just polish the old chrome with some cream..

Attachments