CINDY!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well ... I’ve never doubted ... I really like Cindy ... but that particular performance was less than inspiring. That didn’t strike you as rough? ... like she was pissed and having an off night or something?

Rock Salad

Reaction score
i liked the way the camera was so close the whole time, it really showed the technique. But, maybe that was bugging her?
I don't know if i ever seen such an extended close up on a fast playing solo before. The fulcrum of the stick is not even in the hand at many points,but close to the middle of it- beyond her hand.
I liked her from Lenny days too, and she has only stretched out from there.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cindy is an amazing & intense player! I first "discovered" her on "Trio + Two" - Cindy Blackman, Santie Debriano, Dave Fiuczynski while digging around for more David Fiuczynski stuff to listen to back in the late 90's.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In October 2007 the best event to ever grace my lovely home state of New Hampshire was the New England International Drum Expo (NEIDX), organized and hosted by Cherie Willoughby Dennard. This was a two day weekend event with quite a few vendors and a stellar roster of players - Dave DiCenso, Steve Smith, Kenwood Dennard, Ra Kalam Bob Moses and Dave Mattacks, just to name a few.

On Sunday, Cindy Blackman was slated as the final clinician to perform, somewhere around 4:00 if I recall correctly. As time ticked by and she had yet to take the stage, a great many audience members left. Cindy finally arrived nearly two hours late for her slot, reportedly due to an issue with her flight. Making her way to the stage she walked through those of us who were left and I couldn't help but be taken aback by her diminutive stature. Someone's physical size should never be a dertermining factor of their abilities, I was simply surprised at how tiny she was. What immediately followed put that thought right out of my head.

Those who made the poor decision to leave missed an incredible performance. Cindy took to the stage and absolutely tore the place up! She's a powerhouse and it was awesome to behold, playing with such a high level of conviction and intensity, whether hammering during her solo or playing through a Jazz tune, all the while her love and regard for Tony being a palatable vibe. The applause she recieved as she took to the stage was nothing in comparrison to the cacophony when she left it. It spoke volumes about the impact she had on the audience. I'm so glad I stayed to witness such an inspiring performance and I left with a healthy dose of new found respect.