Cissy Strut snare drum

laea7777

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of snare drum Joseph "Ziggy" Modeliste aka Zigaboo used on the famous Meters recording, 'Cissy Strut'? I personally think this may be the second funkiest groove of all time, with Clyde Stubblefield's 'Cold Sweat' groove being number one and Clyde Stubblefield's 'Funky Drummer' groove being a close third. When comparing the snare drum sounds between 'Cissy Strut' and 'Funky Drummer', I noticed that they are very different, though I love both. I'm pretty sure that Stubblefield used a 14x5 chrome over aluminum snare, probably a Ludwig Supraphonic or something similar. It has a high, dry, cracking sound. 'Cissy Strut', on the other hand seems a bit deeper and much more ringy. I'm guessing he used a deeper, brass snare; maybe a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty nickel over brass, but I can't seem to find any information on it. There is a great video of Zigaboo playing 'Cissy Strut' on Youtube entitled 'Zigaboo Modeliste w/ Friends Cissy Strut Live @ Rockefeller' in which he appears to be using a wooden snare, but it does not have the same ringy tone as the original recording.

J

jaymandude

I saw an old picture once and if memory serves it was a 5x14 Leedy. Whether that was the Cissy Strut drum I don't know. It definitely sounds like a wood drum to me

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds to be a tight

shuffle said:
Thought I read that it was an Acro,tuned screaming tight!
Definitely sounds like a tightly tuned metal drum with no or little muffling. The overtones are very acro-like, so it could very well be it. But you can get this sound from pretty much any decent 5x14 metal snare, it's more about how it's tuned and how it's hit.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now giving it a second listen, the snare sound on the A-parts could be wood drum too. But what makes me hear it as a metal drum is the B-parts when Zigaboo is playing towards the edge of the drum. Then it sounds like an Acro or similar to me.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I found 2 pics of Zig online. One is when he was 19 (1967) and looks like he's playing a 6.5" snare - can't tell what brand or the drums.

The 2nd pic is presumably later and it looks like a Gretsch kit (funky short concert toms!) and what I suspect is a 5x14 4160 COB snare.....

zigaboo_age_19 1967.jpg zigaboomdcom1011 (7).jpg

Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to interview my friend (and genius) Zig a few times. In 2004 (Percussive Notes) I asked him about his snare drum sound back in the Meters days, this is what he had to say. Hope this helps, MSG

Griffith: You have a great touch on
the drums, and I have to ask you
about the great snare drum sound
that you always seem to get.

Modeliste: I have to begin by saying
that I think the heads today are
thicker than they used to be. I just
think that because people are
playing harder, the head manufacturers
are making the new Mylar differently.
I keep my bottom snare drum
head tight, but I dont have the