Citrus Mod finished

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So a little update on things...

I glued down all the edges that were lifting, polished all the shells, did the blue dawn soak on all the hardware including the metal rims, polished all the hardware and rims, got the snare back together and painted the bass drum hoops. I have the bumwrap inlays but still need to glue them in. I also bought a new Ludwig double tom mount as it has a memory lock and keeps things pretty solid. I kept the original and labeled it so I would know it went with this set. I still need to get heads top and bottom for every tom and I need to buy a bag of washers for all the rods. I'm kind of bummed that Ludwig stopped making the weather master heads so I'm not really sure what I am going to do yet. I'm going out of town the rest of this week so it may be another week or two when I can finally finish this thing. They have cleaned up wonderfully thus far and I can't wait to take them on a gig. I wanted the set to fully function as a five piece(which it will) but I typically only play one rack up top so if I gig them I may just use the 12 or the 13 in a snare stand. This has been a fun project but also a lot of work. I have had to squeeze in time whenever I could find a few minutes. I used to do this stuff all the time when I was younger but now a lot of this seems to take a toll on my hands. All that fine polishing is enough to drive someone mad! Lol. This was well worth it though and truth be told I would probably see the value in fixing up any old Ludwig set that was in this condition. here are a few pics I took to get me motivated to finish.

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So I am ever so close to finishing this thing. I got heads all around and I discovered that the floor tom tension rods are the wrong size. The threads tap out before the head is tensioned. I'm not surprised as this set was missing tons of parts and they haven't been used in over 25 years. I'm going to have to spend some time looking through my parts to see if I have ones that will at least work for now. So close... yet so far.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice Job, let me know how you make out with the rods, I might have some for you.

Wayne

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Nice Job, let me know how you make out with the rods, I might have some for you.

Wayne
Thanks so much Wayne. I'm hoping to come up with some as I have a lot of old parts stashed away. If I come up short I will definitely let you know.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I finally finished this set up. It's not dead mint perfect and I had to search my parts cabinet for some missing parts to complete things. The hoops on the bass drum look pretty good too and the bumwrap is a dead on match in case anyone else needs to get some. I have an 80's chrome rocker snare that I might do up in this citrus mod just for fun. I am excited to try these out as I have not even had the chance to lay a stick to them. I am going to be doing an NSMD article on this set as well. I am also excited to see how the other citrus mod set comes out that Archt has. I'm sure it will be great too. If I get a chance to mess with these they might come out for a gig this Saturday. Pretty cool since they have not been played since about 1992!

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

Wayne

Thank you again Wayne for the nice offer. I had to search pretty hard but I did come up with the missing parts. It's hard for me to believe I had them. They were probably burried for some time!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Well done Kurt. Very nice!!

Thanks Mike and everyone else. I have thought about this set for a lot of years. It was a tad frustrating to get near the end and not have some of the basic parts(like tension rods or bass drum claws) work the way they should. Thankfully I have a fair number parts to make this all work out. The 12 and 13 are still missing mufflers so at some point(no hurry) I will track those down and I may look for some nicer bass drum claws just to make things better. I haven't played two toms on top of the bass drum since the 80's and I will most likely play these as a four piece set. It's going to be fun though. I know and understand why the named this finish citrus mod but all the colors in here really look like a New England fall(which is starting to rapidly happen here) so if I had been given the opportunity I might have named the finish something like Autumn Mod. There really is every color of fall in there and my NH fall is about to look spectacular. In fact I need to get outside to photograph these soon or they will blend right in to the scenery!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I have followed this story with interest, Kurt! Great job and nice to hear that they will be gigged after a 27 year hiatus!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So fine! And you have done your duty to the vintage drum cause!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So fine! And you have done your duty to the vintage drum cause!

It's always about the cause. Lol... I really wanted to save these because I know they are quite rare and I wanted them to be around for many years in their original state. truth be told though I probably would have tried to do a good job even if they were a really common run of the mill color. As long as a set is not full of extra holes and can be brought back to original condition, I am happy to give them new life. The fact that this was citrus mod just fueled that desire even greater. I also don't plan on selling them so making any kind of profit on these is not something that was even a thought.

Latest posts