Clap stack alternatives

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have wanted to get an Agop clap stack from the day they were released, but no way am I paying $412 for an effect I’d only use on a few tunes. I don’t want to add electronics to my kit for just this one thing either.

I haven’t had luck making my own by stacking splashes and small crashes so far—they’re great for high pitched clashing sounds, but not that dry clap. I’ve gotten closer with the rim click flam trick recommended by Jojo.

Anything else I should try?

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like putting a small cymbal on a snare drum. Depending on a few variables (the drum, the cymbal, and your technique) you can get some cool lofi electronic sounding handclaps.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Meinl Turbo Crasher?
Cheap and more than a one trick pony.

Zildjian Trashformers are great as well, and broken ones often come up for free - should still work for a clap stack.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Using a pair of stacked hi hats here - heavy 12” Agop Turk. Very quick and dry and may not be the true clap you are after. But if you come across any cheap used hats and could try them out in person and they sounded good ..... you may then be able to use them as normal hats as well to justify the cost.

Last edited:

TGStan

Reaction score
I recently discovered this clapstack thing and was quite surprised when I saw the price. While it sounds very cool it certainly overpriced for me given its limited application.

Best of luck finding an alternative.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks.

The more I listen to sound samples of the various crashers on the market, the more I don’t want them for a “clap” sound. I mean they’re great for making a crash sound, just not a clap.

The more I practice the rim-click-flam clap, the better it sounds, but it sure is finicky: both sticks have to land in just the exact position.

Latest posts