header.nohb.html

classic maple bearing edges: roundover vs standard 45

bon viesta

Reaction score
i’ve been sort of planning the ins and outs of what i want from ludwig later this year, and after first settling on legacy maples i soon realized that it’s just too expensive for not a good enough reason. so, i’ve now decided that classic maples are just more reasonable and also resemble the late 70s period that ludwig seems to have a lot of parts catering to.

my one and only drum kit is a 1965 gold sparkle mahogany and poplar ludwig. it sounds great! and i’m wondering which bearing edge would be less jarring to transition to on a classic maple kit. last thing i want is a kit that just feels and sounds completely different. i don’t want particularly modern sounding drums, i just want big, robust sounding tone with the cut that will likely come as a benefit from the 7 ply construction. i’m pretty influenced my jazzy players and that realm of drum sounds.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In that case, specifically not wanting a "modern" sound, the roundover edges will give you more of that vintage tone on Classic Maples. The 45 edges would promote a lot more attack and sustain. In any case, expect more volume from the CMs compared to the 3-plies and maybe a bit less of that pillowy, airy feel that seems inherent in those 3-ply shells. If that feel is important to you, then you should reconsider the Legacies.

bon viesta

Reaction score
In that case, specifically not wanting a "modern" sound, the roundover edges will give you more of that vintage tone on Classic Maples. The 45 edges would promote a lot more attack and sustain. In any case, expect more volume from the CMs compared to the 3-plies and maybe a bit less of that pillowy, airy feel that seems inherent in those 3-ply shells. If that feel is important to you, then you should reconsider the Legacies.
in my mind, i think i overstate how much gear is important to me in terms of sound. i use cheapo cymbals with sizzles and i love playing them and i think they sound pretty alright, even though i lust after the big boy zildjians. if the drums have ambassadors on both sides and are tuned up pretty high, i don’t think i’ll be very picky.

but i’m the kind of person that worries and is super obsessive compulsive BEFORE purchase, so i can know that i made all the right decisions while playing the kit and just not worry about it at all. so in the event i choose standard edges and i find myself slightly dissatisfied with the tone, i’ll probably be a little like “why did i choose this option!!”

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you end up not liking the rounded edges, you could always have them recut to be sharp. It's harder to go the other way.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have played both and I am generally a fan of round over bearing edges, but no on the Ludwig Classic Maples. Two buddies here in town ordered theirs with the round over edges and both kits proceeded to be eaten for lunch by my standard 45 degree edged Classic Maple. These drums need a sharper edge, IMHO. The Legacy line is great with the round over butter edges, but the Classic Maple sounds and performs best with the standard 45 degree edges.
*** BTW, they both have since had their edges recut to the standard OEM Ludwig specs. They are now much happier.

digovii

Reaction score
I would recommend getting the classic maple with 45s tbh. You can always tame a drum down, but you're kind of stuck with a particular sound out the gate with roundovers. The classic maple's with 45s have a crazy wide tuning range. You can always tune lower (or higher) and use a thicker head with some type of muffling to achieve a sound that would resemble the legacy/vintage 3ply or any kind of muffled drum tones.

Just my advice.

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree with everything charlesm pointed out regarding sound and feel. I happen to have 45 degree CMs, roundover CMs, and Legacy Mahogany shells. As stated, the 45's provide attack and sustain beautifully, whereas the roundovers are a little darker and a bit more subdued - not by a helluva lot, but enough to mix well with Legacy shells and not sound jarringly out of place. In fact, my favorite set up at the moment is Legacy toms combined with a roundover CM bass drum.

In short, I find that modern roundover Classic Maples provide a great middle ground between standard 45's and Legacys.