Classic Rock songs not in 4/4

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was having a discussion with a young man who I hired for the summer. He is studying classic guitar and is heading off to get his Masters this fall. We were talking about time signatures in popular music and I gave him a few examples. I know there are many bands that play songs in different time signatures now, but who was doing it back in the 60's, 70's and 80's? Let's hear what you've got...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Jethro Tull - Living in the Past
Pink Floyd - Money
A whole bunch of tunes by Rush and Yes

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Led Zeps Ocean goes into 5/4 could be wrong though.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
There are lots of instances of bands using an odd time signature for a single bar to create tension, extend a melodic phrase, or perhaps just because they could. A couple of examples:

"Barracudda" Heart
"Blinded by the Light" Mafered Mann version
"The Weight" The Band

rentadrummer

Reaction score
Turn It On Again - Genesis
Tied To The Whipping Post - Allman Brothers

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Manic Depression-Hendrix
Go Now-Moody Blues
Changes-Yes
House Burning Down-Hendrix

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"House Burning Down-Hendrix" is straight 4/4. Some of Mitch's fills are a bit syncopated and out there, bu they are also in 4/4 and keep the same tempo.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drawtheline55 said:
I think Led Zeps Ocean goes into 5/4 could be wrong though.
It's actual a 2 bar phrase - bar 1is in 4/4 & bar 2 is in 7/8. I like playing it to a quarter click so that the 1st time thru the click is on downbeats & 2 time thru it's on the up beats & continues to flip ever time. Really fun groove to play :)

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Black Dog - sort of.

According to John Paul Jones:

"I then came up with the bridge riff, which is in E (see Figure 3). This riff is rather tricky-sounding, as it's built from a repeated phrase that is four-and-a-half beats long. Each time the phrase is repeated it's displaced by half a beat. Notice how the E note, which falls neatly on beat one the first time the phrase is played, falls on the second eighth-note of beat one the second time around, on beat two the third time, and on the second eighth-note of beat two the fourth time. This technique of repeating an odd-length phrase in an even time signature such as 4/4 is known as hemiola and is a very effective compositional tool. "