Clean sounding, non clangy easy to open cymbals

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my dark and dirty handmade pies. I have an assortment of Mehmets, Agops, Bos, Byzance and Soultone cymbals. I love them all. My Origin Dark Ride is the best ride I've ever played. What I like about these cymbals the most, is how easy to get them to open they are. A low dynamic strike with the shaft gives just as pleasing a sound as the explosion it gives off at full dynamics. All of the "clean" cymbals I've owned or tried had that awful clang at low dynamics and just lack the character I'm used to hearing in the trashier handmade cymbals. I used to own an 18" Paiste sig full crash and it was the best sounding and most buttery feeling cymbal in the "clean" family I've played. Easy to open, relatively quick decay and a nice warm and pishy crash sound. It could also be used as a low dynamic ride. 18s are the smallest sizes I'm looking into and I'd probably even prefer 20s. Where should I be looking for what I'm describing? I've owned Ks, K Customs, K Cons, A Customs, As, HH, HHX and the Paiste Sig. Of all of these, the sig stands out as what I'm looking for. The others all seemed to be trying to do what my Turkish cymbals do but not as well. Two crashes and a ride are what I'm looking for. Thanks everybody

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my dark and dirty handmade pies. I have an assortment of Mehmets, Agops, Bos, Byzance and Soultone cymbals. I love them all. My Origin Dark Ride is the best ride I've ever played. What I like about these cymbals the most, is how easy to get them to open they are. A low dynamic strike with the shaft gives just as pleasing a sound as the explosion it gives off at full dynamics. All of the "clean" cymbals I've owned or tried had that awful clang at low dynamics and just lack the character I'm used to hearing in the trashier handmade cymbals. I used to own an 18" Paiste sig full crash and it was the best sounding and most buttery feeling cymbal in the "clean" family I've played. Easy to open, relatively quick decay and a nice warm and pishy crash sound. It could also be used as a low dynamic ride. 18s are the smallest sizes I'm looking into and I'd probably even prefer 20s. Where should I be looking for what I'm describing? I've owned Ks, K Customs, K Cons, A Customs, As, HH, HHX and the Paiste Sig. Of all of these, the sig stands out as what I'm looking for. The others all seemed to be trying to do what my Turkish cymbals do but not as well. Two crashes and a ride are what I'm looking for. Thanks everybody

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Digging the 20 and 24. Not the 18 so much. Thanks Steech

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone who bought a Cymbal & Gong Janovar series crash cymbal from me just made a similar comment:

The Janavar is… quite simply the best crash cymbal I’ve ever owned. Modern crash cymbals, no matter the weight, have a “clang” when hit softly. Heavier weights never lose it and lighter weights won’t let go of it until struck with enough force, at which point the room is filled with chaotic high-frequency radiation and the floor manager is giving you the stink-eye. That’s not an issue playing an outdoor rock gig but won’t do during dinner service or to the discerning ear of a studio microphone.

In contrast, the Janovar blooms and shimmers and all the player has to do is manage the amount of energy input via the stick. I would find myself moved to get in the practice room just to hear it again. It’s truly exceptional.

A lot of C&Gs do this-- the Merseybeat and Leon series are basically clean, non-clangy brighter sounds.

By clean I mean the opposite of a very dark, funky, noisy sound. Strong fundamental sound without a lot of wild harmonics.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m on the Paiste Signature side for what you’re describing.
They make some Mellow and Fast crashes along with the Fulls that are just spectacular.
You tried the 18 Full.
If you can, tap a Mellow and a Fast.
Very pleasing.
And the 22 Mellow Ride is just slick.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Paiste sig fast. I have the 16, 18 and 19 with a 22 mellow ride, 14DE hi hats. Beautiful crashes. Opens up real easy, and don't overpower.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone who bought a Cymbal & Gong Janovar series crash cymbal from me just made a similar comment:

A lot of C&Gs do this-- the Merseybeat and Leon series are basically clean, non-clangy brighter sounds.

By clean I mean the opposite of a very dark, funky, noisy sound. Strong fundamental sound without a lot of wild harmonics.
How does one purchase anything from C&G? I don't see a "for sale" prompt.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m on the Paiste Signature side for what you’re describing.
They make some Mellow and Fast crashes along with the Fulls that are just spectacular.
You tried the 18 Full.
If you can, tap a Mellow and a Fast.
Very pleasing.
And the 22 Mellow Ride is just slick.
Very good information thank you! The fulls are great and my baseline for what I'm after

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste sig fast. I have the 16, 18 and 19 with a 22 mellow ride, 14DE hi hats. Beautiful crashes. Opens up real easy, and don't overpower.
Exactly what I'm looking for thanks

purity

Reaction score
How does one purchase anything from C&G? I don't see a "for sale" prompt.

There are several other dealers in the US too (like round sound).

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The right As can do that. They used to be clangier, but the 2013 redesign addressed that.
I also find some Turkish cymbals rather clean or sweet sounding, Mehmet or Bos come to mind.

Black Label

Reaction score
Don't forget about the 602 classic thin and super thin crashes too. I have 2 vintage 20" thin crashes, one a pre-serial and one a 1974 and they are both exactly what you are looking for. They open up with a finger tap, either slow and swelling or quick and instant, depending on the stroke. I also own a 18" Sig Full and yes, it is a gorgeous cymbal. Although I have never played a 602 18" thin, judging by the 20's I would guess that the 602's will open up quicker and be a little less bright. Also the Dark Energy crashes - oh man, those are Sig Fulls with a darker side, but definitely not turkish dark.............. rather Paiste dark.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ll second the A Zildjians.
Older thinner ones open fast and are clean with a bit of character. The newer redesigned A’s I’ve heard (but never owned) are even “cleaner,” so that’s what I’d go for if clean and friendly is the goal.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like maybe you should stick with what you like - the Signatures. :dontknow:
I have a 22” sig prototype ride, it’s one of my favorite cymbals. Super clean ride, great bell, awesome crash. Wasn’t even that expensive. I like it so much that I sold a 22” ME ride because I didn’t need it.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my sig full crash (18) and 602 reissue thin crash(18). They are both cymbals that have “that sound” of what I hear when I hear a great bright crash on a recording. But, a few months ago I found a Giant Beat (18) that has the same sound as the last crash on Stairway to Heaven. Just a beautiful sound.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody. The 19" sig dark energy sounds sublime to my ears. Anything smaller than that one, might be too high pitched for me. What other Paistes would compliment the 19 at around the same diameter or larger? I'm not ruling out 18s but the 19 fits the bill so much more for me from a sonic perspective in all the videos I've heard. The difference is noticeable to me. Also those 15" hats in the same series are beautiful sounding. I may go 19 de and either a 20 or 21 de ride or a 20 or larger paiste crash that would pair nicely with the 19. I'm open to all suggestions like the giant beats etc. The 15s may muscle their way into this purchase when wasn't nt even considering adding hats, thats how noce they sound.