Clean sounding, non clangy easy to open cymbals

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 19" Paiste DE Crash is indeed a wonderful instrument. Mine rarely leaves the stand. 90% of the time it's on the left side with my 21" Masters Medium Ride on the right.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are also amazing sounding crashes. Can crash them easily with your hand. I have a 19”.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are also amazing sounding crashes. Can crash them easily with your hand. I have a 19”.

I just snagged a 19 masters dark from a fellow member. Hopefully this will lead me down the right path. Loving the stuff I'm seeing from Paiste for this particular sound profile.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mehmet Legends (not “Dark” or “Dry”) are excellent clean cymbals.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that escalated quickly! I just acquired a 20" masters bluebird mellow and a pair of 14" masters dark hats to go with the 19 crash. I know these all repsent some of Paistes darker offerings but they're nothing like the trashy extra thin Agops and Mehmets I have. Still would like to add a dark energy crash and either a giant beat or big beat 20 crash.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just snagged a 19 masters dark from a fellow member. Hopefully this will lead me down the right path. Loving the stuff I'm seeing from Paiste for this particular sound profile.
Man that extra thin is a beautiful sounding crash.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in Revival Drum Shop in Portland a while back looking for a used 19” ish crash. The guy there recommend I try the new Istanbul Xist 17” crash. I almost passed. It is one of their more entry level lines and I wasn’t looking for new. The price was similar to buying used and the was wonderful. Pretty clear with a nice quick wash but not too brash. Can even do some light riding on it. It is one of those cymbals that the more I play it the more I like it.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
which/ what/ size specific Bos pie do you have may I inquire? : ) ty
I have a few. I have an antique series 18 (sultan) a turk series 18 ozone type and regular turk type 18. All great cymbals but I'd say the antique is my least favorite.

Reactions: JDA

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in Revival Drum Shop in Portland a while back looking for a used 19” ish crash. The guy there recommend I try the new Istanbul Xist 17” crash. I almost passed. It is one of their more entry level lines and I wasn’t looking for new. The price was similar to buying used and the was wonderful. Pretty clear with a nice quick wash but not too brash. Can even do some light riding on it. It is one of those cymbals that the more I play it the more I like it.
I love the whole Xist line.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm currently using at home. I have a bunch more cymbals scattered with friends and at my buddies studio. The far right is the Bos Turk Ozone. Love the Agop sigs!! The Origin Dark stuff is the most musical group of cymbals I own. Lifetime cymbals for me.
20220105_213905.jpg

Black Label

Reaction score
This is what I'm currently using at home. I have a bunch more cymbals scattered with friends and at my buddies studio. The far right is the Bos Turk Ozone. Love the Agop sigs!! The Origin Dark stuff is the most musical group of cymbals I own. Lifetime cymbals for me. View attachment 536725
A whole new world of shimmer and shine will open up for you when you receive your Paistes.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, thanks to Almamadre, I have a 20" mellow blue bird, 19" masters dark and 14" masters hats on the way. I'm going to round this set out with 18 and 19 dark energy crashes and a 21" Dark Energy Mark 1 ride. Looking forward to giving these a try.

cdrummer

Reaction score
Don't forget about the 602 classic thin and super thin crashes too. I have 2 vintage 20" thin crashes, one a pre-serial and one a 1974 and they are both exactly what you are looking for. They open up with a finger tap, either slow and swelling or quick and instant, depending on the stroke. I also own a 18" Sig Full and yes, it is a gorgeous cymbal. Although I have never played a 602 18" thin, judging by the 20's I would guess that the 602's will open up quicker and be a little less bright. Also the Dark Energy crashes - oh man, those are Sig Fulls with a darker side, but definitely not turkish dark.............. rather Paiste dark.
I'll second the 602 thins and paper thins for clean and easy to open. I played the 20" paper thin at NAMM and it was super responsive and just beautiful in every way. Nothing clangy about it whatsoever.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second the 602 thins and paper thins for clean and easy to open. I played the 20" paper thin at NAMM and it was super responsive and just beautiful in every way. Nothing clangy about it whatsoever.
Good call! That's perfect! The paper thin that is. Thank you everybody. I'll either have a new set of clean cymbals to use or a bunch of reselling to do hahaha. I'm optimistic but blind (or deaf really) cymbal buys are a gamble at best. Luckily Paiste seems to do a good job retaining their value. It doesn't take long to tell if a cymbal is for me or not, so any cymbals that might get culled won't have much playing time at all.

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the DE 19 and 21 arrived today. The 21 is dry and mostly stick. It has a little bit of wash and a great bell. I could see how this cymbal would really thrive in a varied dynamic live setting, although it might be a tad "focused" for really light dynamics. It probably is a superb studio cymbal too. I don't have its weight but it feels stiffer to me than I had expected. I really like it and think it will actually pair well with my thin and wobbly Turkish cymbals. The 19" is great and more of what I was expecting, although also just a little stiffer than I had expected. A masters 19 dark crash, 20" masters mellow bluebird ride and a pair of masters 14" dark hats are set to arrive tomorrow and an18" DE crash by the weekend. A 602 20" paper thin crash is on order form Daytona Drum Center too (thanks Dan). I may keep them all but we'll see, I typically don't keep stuff I don't use, I'm not a collector at all . I really enjoyed the 21 and 19 and think they're likely keepers. I'm hopeful that the 20" bluebird is a little softer under the stick and a little more complex than the DE. The other pies here (except the 18" Agop sig) are lesser used cymbals I own andi might be on the move. Typically I have a Byzance extra dry thin 20" crash, a 20" Mehmet paper thin Turk crash, 18" Mehmet Origin Dark Crash, 10" Extra dry thin splash and either a 22" Agop Sig or my all time favorite 22" Origin Dark.
20220112_183040.jpg

jkuhl

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the cymbals from Alamadre arrived today. A 20"Bluebird mellow ride, 19" masters dark crash and 14" masters dark hats. Now we're talking!!! I' love the DE stuff but this masters series stuff is just a little softer under the stick and has an overall warmer mellower vibe. They're all keepers! Still to come is a 20" 602 paper thin. I'm going to likely move a lot of my secondary cymbals as they're mostly approximations of my main set up but not as much to my liking. I like these Paistes just as much as my trashy stuff and they truly offer a
20220113_193912.jpg
20220113_193827.jpg
different voice by comparison. Really happy with this decision. These are great cymbals.