Cleaned up an old Supra

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I noticed this old Supra kicking it on a back shelf in my church. Turns out it belongs to the senior pastor who used to be a rocker in the 70's. It had trashed heads and wires, the strainer side of which was held on with a big fat white shoestring. I asked him if I could take it home and spruce it up and he obliged. I removed the hoops and lugs and soaked everything in Dawn water. Then did a microfiber cloth wipe-down and dry before re-assembling. The outside is rough with chrome pitting and flaking all around the shell. There were no nylon washers on the tension rods either, so there were a few rusty spots on the hoops from the steel washers. Everything cleaned up ok and I put it all back together with a set of 20 strand Gibraltar wires, Remo Coated Emp on top and Hazy Amb snareside. I think the strainer is a P85 and should have had a screw-on "bar" to hold a strap for the wires, but there was no "bar or screws, so I used orange Ludwig cord and tied it through the holes. Butt side got the plastic Gibraltar strap since I only had one piece of cord. I added nylon washers to all the tension rods as well. Turned out ok and sounds pretty good if I do say so myself.

http://instagr.am/p/CB88NQbpmdQ/

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Did you use anything to get rid of any putting or polish it afterwards?

Looks and sounds great! Awesome job man!

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That puppy sounds GREAT, and your playing sounds pretty damn good..........

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you use anything to get rid of any putting or polish it afterwards?

Looks and sounds great! Awesome job man!
No, I wasn't sure what I might do. I've read of others unsuccessfully trying to fix/remove pitting and/or further damaging the drum. My goal was really just to get it clean and functional. I "polished" it with a soft dry microfiber cloth after "scrubbing" the dirty and rusty spots with a different microfiber cloth dipped in the warm soapy Dawn water.

And thank you!

Latest posts