header.nohb.html

Cleanest and loudest diecast hoops/rims

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m looking for hoops/rims that will make my cross-sticks scream like a banshee. I have no idea what a banshee is or if I’m even spelling that correctly, but I heard that they can get pretty loud.

I have both 8 lug and 10 lug metal snares so am looking for both types.

I’m thinking diecast but am open to other suggestions. Not interested in technique tips or advice on sticks.

Any suggestions?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m looking for hoops/rims that will make my cross-sticks scream like a banshee. I have no idea what a banshee is or if I’m even spelling that correctly, but I heard that they can get pretty loud.

I have both 8 lug and 10 lug metal snares so am looking for both types.

I’m thinking diecast but am open to other suggestions. Not interested in technique tips or advice on sticks.

Any suggestions?
See the snare drum?
Once I put that wood hoop on, rim clicks could be heard in the next county (trust me, the phone rang off the hook!)
No Die Cast compares.

Sonor_ForceCustom_Bebop11.JPG

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
See the snare drum?
Once I put that wood hoop on, rim clicks could be heard in the next county (trust me, the phone rang off the hook!)
No Die Cast compares.

View attachment 561709
Woah.

I hadn’t considered wood hoops, thanks for the suggestion!

Would it make sense that denser and thicker wood hoops would really do the trick, like oak maybe?

Also, are there any things to look out for in terms of lugs etc? I am wondering if some wood hoops might not fit on some snares.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Two loudest I have for cross stick are a set of the hammertone looking 90’s Gretsch broadcaster hoops and a 50’s Slingerland chrome over brass stick chopper. Of the two I like the cob stickchopper better but they are different sizes so I can’t compare directly on the same drum

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Woah.

I hadn’t considered wood hoops, thanks for the suggestion!

Would it make sense that denser and thicker wood hoops would really do the trick, like oak maybe?

Also, are there any things to look out for in terms of lugs etc? I am wondering if some wood hoops might not fit on some snares.
Well, I had to put that hoop on with a screwdriver because my key wouldn't fit (admittedly, the hoop was not specifically made for a Sonor snare drum, which uses a larger diameter key).
The rim click becomes a noticeably loud knock.
However, when played like normal, I couldn't hear any difference in the sound of the drum between the wood hoop and the trip flange it originally came with.
The knock is musical, but yeah, loud.
I don't know about other styles of wood hoops, this is the only one I've ever owned.
I believe it was a Gibraltar. Pretty sure I got from JazzDrumGuy.
I looked at their site and didn't see one, but a Google search showed that GC and Musician Fiend both sell them.
DfD has some, too (at about 1/2 the price!).
...but yeah, Yamaha style wood hoop would be my suggestion.
Go check it out.

Last edited:

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put a set of Gretsch 302 hoops on my Catalina Club snare and it is loud, did I say loud? Also, like 1988fxlr stated, stick choppers do a great job.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try Pearl die cast. Wood hoops are great. S hoops are the easiest on the wallet. Also Gibraltar makes diecast hoops cheaper than Pearl. Lastly, Yamaha makes aluminum diecast hoops which are crackalackin. I had one on my marching snare in the 80s. Big bang distribution also sells the cascara block that you mount on your snare drum. 40bucks... Honestly if you are using thicker triple flanged hoops 2.3 mm or above, you should be able to put some tension on that and it will sound like a clave on a bossa nova. The thicker the hoop just means you have to work less hard on finding the sweet spot. The lighter the stick too also results in easier cross stick sound. Same goes for full contact rimshots. Balance between less mass/more mass with stick and hoop.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen those advertised and they’re on my list. Have you played one?
Yes. It's basically the best of both worlds. The drum, if you're playing a metal snare, retains the ring with the added benefit of the massive cross stick sound. On a metal snare, those full wooden hoops reduce the ring a bit, at least in my experience, as do die-cast hoops.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's basically the best of both worlds. The drum, if you're playing a metal snare, retains the ring with the added benefit of the massive cross stick sound. On a metal snare, those full wooden hoops reduce the ring a bit, at least in my experience, as do die-cast hoops.
Awesome, thanks! I just ordered one. It just attaches to the lugs, right? No tools needed other than a drum key?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i find die cast -'Not as easy" to get a Cross stick; Triple flanged Nickle over Brass- Easy
Triple Flange much more flexible
Die cast seem to have 'one spot" and you move off that spot you're done.
Good to know, thanks!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favourte are Yamaha aluminum die casts , horribly expensive or they'd be on all my drums .

Pearl used to make steel die casts that were great.

Regular zinc alloy not so much .

Best thing to do is suspend the hoop with your finger and tap it with a stick . I prefer a longer sustain and a musical ring to it .

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Gretsch die casts are plenty loud. Don't know why you'd ever need to get louder. So loud that I don't turn the stick butt out with them. I've actually come to like the sound of not turning the stick butt out on cross-sticks better on any drum, but that's another story.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve seen those advertised and they’re on my list. Have you played one?
I got two a while back, sold the larger version and kept the small one.

And yeah, very noticeable but it depends quite a bit on the drum. On my metal drum it sounds amplified while on a maple snare it's a bit softer and clackier.