Cleaning A Custom cymbals ??

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used Wrights Brass Polish for over 30 years with excellent results (and it will NOT scratch). It is very thin/runny/milky and I apply it with a car wax pad. It dries to a powderish state pretty quickly and comes off easily--esp on Brilliant finish cymbals and makes them look killer. I buy it at my local supermarket but I'm sure any major big box has it. I am VERY careful with my cymbals and swear by it.
Was curious and looked it up...

Wrights Brass Polish says - "Contains ammonia and abrasive"

Doesn't mean it's bad, just putting the info here.

Last edited:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was curious and looked it up...

"Contains ammonia and abrasive"

Doesn't mean it's bad, just putting the info here.
Well, I can assure you that it is NOT even SLIGHTLY abrasive....it's very runny--like a thin milkshake and has cleaned my very expensive A's, A Customs, K Customs, etc, for decades with ZERO issues....they come out perfect every time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I should have added when I had my A Customs in the early 90's (hats, 14/16/18 crashes and 20 ride), I cleaned all but the 14" crash with Zildjian's branded cleaner. I suspect it was pretty similar to BKF as I still recall the smell (which is similar to BKF). They always got very shiny but were prone to fingerprints.....

Never had an issue with bronze spots with them. I do have a 50's A that has some green but the patina is nice and dark so I won't be cleaning them....

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I can assure you that it is NOT even SLIGHTLY abrasive....it's very runny--like a thin milkshake and has cleaned my very expensive A's, A Customs, K Customs, etc, for decades with ZERO issues....they come out perfect every time.
Not trying to be a pain, singleordoubleheads. I might even try it sometime! Putting a liquid can be just fine. Acid is a different story. Either way, it's good to read the bottle. :)

Last edited:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not trying to be a pain, singleordoubleheads. I might even try it sometime! Putting a liquid can be just fine. Acid is a different story. Either way, it's good to read the bottle. :)
No, I getcha. Just stating my personal experiences with it. Plus, I always put it on the damp pad first, then proceed to polish away. It does a fantastic job on all my cymbals, brilliant or non-brilliant finishes. I garantee you would be pleased with the results, but other folks swear by BKF.

Latest posts