Cleaning an old snare drum

remhed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know I have read a thread on this topic before... If someone with better search abilites than I can find that thread for me, great. If not, I'd like to revisit this topic.

I have an old chrome over alum supra that I am cleaning up. It has some pitting and other surface issues. I just took it apart and cleaned it up with some Mothers mag polish which I know I got the idea for that from this site. It looks 100% better, but the problem is there is still some gunk on the shell in a couple spots- I am not sure, but it looks like it might be residue from duct tape. I have no idea why someone would have put tape on the side of a snare drum, but that's what it looks like.

What are some other suggestions on cleaning this up without damaging the chrome finish? I didn't want to use anything abrasive as to scratch the surface... I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks much!

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Goof-off and a soft cloth will remove tape residue.

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you think it's duct tape residue, loop some fresh duct tape around your hand, sticky side out, and see if that pulls it off. If the residue is fresh enough, it might pull off nice and clean without any chemicals.