Cleaning an old Supra

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I just got a 60’s aluminum supraphonic with absolutely no pitting in the chrome. It does have some dust and smudges though- what’s the best way to shine it up, while protecting the chrome?

Thanks!

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Be careful if there is a date stamp inside. I found a 68 Supa in great shape and decided to polish the outside up a bit with neverdull. I didn't think about the polish getting on both hands and making it into the inside of the snare while rotating it. I smudged a perfectly clear date stamp before noticing it. I was not happy!

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Be careful if there is a date stamp inside. I found a 68 Supa in great shape and decided to polish the outside up a bit with neverdull. I didn't think about the polish getting on both hands and making it into the inside of the snare while rotating it. I smudged a perfectly clear date stamp before noticing it. I was not happy!
Yikes. I once tried to remove some sticker residue from a rare wrap, using Goo Gone....yeah, that turned out bad.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any good quality chrome polish for the shell should be just fine. I always tape over any interior markings (like date stamps and inspector's marks) as a first step to make sure I do not accidentally remove them during cleaning. A Dawn bath (just water and Dawn for 24 hours) for all the metal parts is usually enough to do the job.

Here is one I just did that I picked up at an estate sale. It also had no pitting and just a few scratches. It turned out well.

Attachments

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Any good quality chrome polish for the shell should be just fine. I always tape over any interior markings (like date stamps and inspector's marks) as a first step to make sure I do not accidentally remove them during cleaning. A Dawn bath (just water and Dawn for 24 hours) for all the metal parts is usually enough to do the job.

Here is one I just did that I picked up at an estate sale. It also had no pitting and just a few scratches. It turned out well.
That's a beauty. Thanks!

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The picture is not good, but I sold it earlier this week, so cannot take a new picture. I just used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Then I tried not to touch it without a cloth covering my hands because I kept leaving fingerprints and smudges on the shiny chrome.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Yikes. I once tried to remove some sticker residue from a rare wrap, using Goo Gone....yeah, that turned out bad.
Dang! What was the wrap?

I have a Ludwig black cortex set. It looks the previous owner had used packing type of tape on the drums at some point so I need to remove the residue. I was actually thinking of using Goo Gone but maybe not now.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dang! What was the wrap?

I have a Ludwig black cortex set. It looks the previous owner had used packing type of tape on the drums at some point so I need to remove the residue. I was actually thinking of using Goo Gone but maybe not now.
It was a rare root beer wrap, on a old Pearl tom. Made it all cloudy :( Just stick with warm soapy water, and go slow.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Removing hardware sux but if you really wanna get it clean then no better way

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one, KC!
I find it therapeutic to disassemble and clean. The pay off is the assembly.
Yep, goo gone is not our friend as I, too, found out the hard way on a WMP jazz fest.
For wraps, Novus is the way to go.