Cleaning black nickel plating

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I have searched and read the other threads about cleaning black nickel plating, but there didn't seem to be a consensus about cleaning product or method. I know there are a lot of Black Beauty owners around here, and I would love to hear from anyone who has needed to clean their black nickel plating.

Someone sent me a drum that looks like it got some kind of spray or water on it, and I would like to give it a good cleaning without damaging the black finish. I don't care if I take off a little of the clear coat, I could always reapply that. In fact, that's probably what I need to do is remove the clear that has been affected. So, maybe that's the question I should be asking -- how to remove the clear without damaging the black. But I could go either way, depending on the wisdom of others who have experienced this.

So, what say you?

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a BB owner (played a few).
So the Black Nickle is an electroplate (like chrome) applied over the brass shell?
That being the case a solvent to remove the compromised clear coating with spots should not harm the plating in any way.
I mean like you have a Poly or laquer over chrome and you use a solvent/stripper it wouln't damage the electroplated chrome finish.
I know nothing, YMMV.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A solvent would definitely affect the raw black nickel plating. It’s not like chrome. For cleaning I would suggest a quality microfiber cloth that is new and is for sure clean. All it takes is one grain of dirt to scratch that clearcoat. I also would not use any type of cleaning agent if it’s not necessary. If it’s greasy enough to need something then damp the cloth with a mild soapy solution like dawn in water.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cleaned and waxed my PDP Ace snare with non-ammonia glass cleaner and some Meguires finishing wax. No damage to the black nickel finish.

I dont know if Ludwig uses a thinner plating than PDP or if PDP uses some sort of clear coat and Ludwig does not but the shell shined up beautifully.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
A solvent would definitely affect the raw black nickel plating. It’s not like chrome. For cleaning I would suggest a quality microfiber cloth that is new and is for sure clean. All it takes is one grain of dirt to scratch that clearcoat. I also would not use any type of cleaning agent if it’s not necessary. If it’s greasy enough to need something then damp the cloth with a mild soapy solution like dawn in water.
The Dawn+water solution isn’t enough. Here’s a closeup of the affected area.
89C5E271-958A-4824-9A2D-E7454A532779.jpeg

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Hardware removed, full Dawn wash complete. You can see it’s like the clear coat has been affected by something that got on it. This is the second drum I’ve received like this from the same source.
161375A8-BE54-4DD4-AED9-1C6D1E1A99C2.jpeg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you have a magnifying glass? Just curious if that clear coat has been penetrated or if it's some surface mineral residue left over from evaporation (as you mentioned spray/water).

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a magnifying glass? Just curious if that clear coat has been penetrated or if it's some surface mineral residue left over from evaporation (as you mentioned spray/water).
I don’t think I do, but I’ll see if anyone I know has one. The other drum I had like this was a clear lacquer over brass and I was able to smooth that finish out with a Nevr-Dull type wadding polish. But I’m concerned that it might hurt the black nickel. If no one has a better idea, I may try it on the bottom flange where it won’t be seen in case it hurts it.