Cleaning calf heads?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dawn and warm water(damp not soaking wet). stubborn stains, ajax powdered cleanser w bleach, small amount on a damp cloth , make a paste, wipe with a clean damp cloth.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I would advise working in very small areas at a time and use very little water. You may need to let it completely dry before moving to another area. If the area on the flesh hoop becomes wet, you will be dealing with a head that will be trying to untuck itself. That can be a pain unless you have experience in tucking calf.
Has anybody tried using a soft rubber eraser?

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would advise working in very small areas at a time and use very little water. You may need to let it completely dry before moving to another area. If the area on the flesh hoop becomes wet, you will be dealing with a head that will be trying to untuck itself. That can be a pain unless you have experience in tucking calf.
Has anybody tried using a soft rubber eraser?
I'll add this carefully-given tip from Jack Lawton: use that lightly-dampened sponge and run it along where a used calf head appears to have a "crease" from being set previously on a drum. You want to soften up that crease so that the head re-seats well on the drum you're going to put it on. Again, don't soak the sponge or the head.