cleaning chrome stand

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i recently picked up a 60s gretsch snare stand #4983

the condition of the stand including all the chrome is very clean . no rust , pitting, or damage of any type.
still id like to at least wipe it down before using it.

i have some turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover, and ive read some recommend using it for this.
some even also recommend waxing it after polishing it.

still im somewhat reluctant to apply any chemicals when there is no damage to correct.
nor will there be anything other then exposure to household air going forward.

it appears this stand led a very sheltered life over the last 50 or so years ,and it will continue to lead a sheltered life going forward.
i guess im thinking the proverbial...if it aint broke...dont fix it....any advice?

RickTriesToPlayDrums

Reaction score
This is safe for your hardware.

Even though you say your hardware is in great condition, I suggest this:

Chrome polish (and a little elbow grease). That's what the product is for. Found in any hardware or auto parts store. Been using it for 40 years. Great, clean results. Pretty hard work though to do a thorough job, especially on severely, dirty and grimy hardware; but results are excellent. And, as you say, your hardware is in good shape so it won't be as much work. Not in your case, but for the sake of conversation; nothing will remove pitting, but oh well -- at least hardware will be shiny and clean. No need to apply wax unless you hate yourself.

After all that hard work, when handling my hardware, I wear inexpensive cotton jersey gloves... no acids from finger prints to etch the chrome and no constant build-up of grunge from handling. The hardware will stay clean and shiny for years with just a periodic dusting with a clean towel!

microswitch

Reaction score
NEVER DULL. Found in most Marine parts and accessory; is used on boat chrome parts. Very simple to use and leaves a protective shine. If your chrome has rust then EVAPORUST found at Harbor freight. Safe, non toxic and what a great job it does. Being restoring drum for over 20 years and these two combo are the best out there.

rock roll

Reaction score
image.jpeg

NEVER DULL. Found in most Marine parts and accessory; is used on boat chrome parts. Very simple to use and leaves a protective shine. If your chrome has rust then EVAPORUST found at Harbor freight. Safe, non toxic and what a great job it does. Being restoring drum for over 20 years and these two combo are the best out there.
A friend of mine recommends the same thing called .. Never dull. He was recommended by the marines corps band leader if I remember the story correctly.
I just found out about this product and haven't had the chance to get one yet.
And I have been using brass and chrome polish which work fine as others have said.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A normally forgotten area of any stands is the inside of the tubes. I use 00000 Steel wool wrapped around a shotgun cleaning brush. A little dab of your favorite rust remover some gentle scrubbing and the come out clean. Removed the steel wool and replace with a small portion of rag wrapped around the brush to dry it out. Then a VERY light coat of general purpose oil , gun oil, or CLP and they are clean and protected for a long time.