Cleaning Chrome

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am looking at possibly picking up a kit that will need some work. Shells polished and more importantly the hardware cleaned. Its nothing vintage or of high value. Just a project and from the pictures I see no rust,, just that dull, greyed out appearance you get when you leave a kit in the basement unattended for a few years.

So, are the automotive chrome wheel cleaners a good option on the hardware? It appears to be a lacquer finish so would car polish be good on the shells? I expect I would yank the hardware and clean/restore one drum at a time. What have you guys gotten good results with?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are correct: auto polishes work well on chrome hardware and plastic wraps. If it's just surface smudges and such, I'll soak hardware in equal parts Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. For deep chrome cleaning, I generally soak in white vinegar for up to 24 hrs (but no more, lest things start turning black!). Afterward a good rinse and dry, I hit the parts with plain old Turtle Wax chrome polish. It can get tedious with tension rods, screws and washers, etc., but it's worth it.

As for the shell wrap, I lightly soap up with Dawn and water, then repeatedly rinse with a damp washcloth, dry, and apply Mother's Brazilian Carnauba wax. Usually restores a nice shine.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts