Cleaning drumheads!

underratedcowbell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This will seem like a silly question, but help me out here because i'm in the dark regarding this subject!

I'm selling this snare to a good friend and neighbour kid! Snare is in great shape, heads are like new but... the batter head has sticks marks!
The kid goes to to me and says:
- Could you please clean out the head so it looks like is brand new?

Well, I've never cleaned a head before...but I don't want to disapoint the kid. His dad didn't say nothing to me, but I could see it in his eyes that he was saying to me: c'mon man, do it for my kid you'll find a way!

So... anybody knows how to clear sticks marks from a coated ambassador head? Please chime in; help a fellow drummer make a kid feel good :)

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They said they wanted it clean - didn't say anything about making sure the coating was not damaged in the process.

You might be able to get some of the marks off with a damp cloth, but as mentioned it may jeopardize the head's coating.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much you are making on the drum, you might be able to supply a new batter head of some sort to him?

1988fxlr

DFO Master
Reaction score
Magic eraser and water works pretty good. I have also used barkeepers friend and a rag succesfully. It will smooth out the coating a bit but newer remo coated all seem to be white film so it will look good. Some of the older ones with the compass logo are clear film and cleaning would be a bad idea visually

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Magic eraser and water works pretty good. I have also used barkeepers friend and a rag succesfully. It will smooth out the coating a bit but newer remo coated all seem to be white film so it will look good. Some of the older ones with the compass logo are clear film and cleaning would be a bad idea visually
This /\

I have done Remo and Evans coated with Barkeepers and a soft cloth, some water and a drop or two of Dawn dish soap never hurts.
Makes a huge improvement. No significant loss of coating, oxalic acid in the Barkeeps bleaches them white again.
Done this in lieu of replacing heads as a freshen-up on kits/drums for sale.
Take the head off the drum first, doh!