Cleaning, not polishing ....

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I scored a very nice lightweight Trans stamp set of 14 inch hats. One has very old tape residue on it. I’d like to clean it off. What’s some good advice?
And, I don’t know how these were stored, but they just plain dirty. Beyond patina. I don’t want them shiny but would like to at least clean them.
At the moment, I’m thinking Goof Off and plain old Dawn and water

Ideas?

jmato

Reaction score
Tape residue is nasty stuff on a cymbal, especially if it has been on the cymbal for a long time. I have used Goo-Gone with good success. It takes some elbow grease, and the cymbals were differently colored under where the tape had been, but it got most of the residue off the cymbal. I wish you luck.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I run into this a lot selling cymbals. I also use Goo Gone when removing the tape residue. Some of it can be BRUTAL getting off though. Working on one right now in fact. I also don't really clean or polish cymbals. I simply get the sink water running, put some Dawn and water in my palm and wipe if over the cymbal surface. Rinse with water and then paper towel dry.

Mike

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ouch! That's just evil. But, if you really what to hear it, with it's full glory, you have to get it off. To start, I'd put it in water with some Gain detergent for a while. (Gain: Alpha-amylase enzyme. A starch removing detergent.) That's a little stronger than Dawn. Some of the paper might dissolve. Bottom line... if there's REAL patina there, and not just deep grime, it can take very mild acids, such as vinegar, to release the sticky crap without losing patina.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good ideas. Gain detergent is a new idea. One of the techniques I might use in another context, a heat gun, is probably not a good idea.
This looks like it would take a fair amount of heat over time to loosen the adhesive. My guess is using the heat on the cymbal’s surface is unwise.
They’re a mess, but they sound nice - quite dark.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use mineral spirits on my cymbal adhesives left behind (or after pulling bar code stickers). Works great, doesn't stain or leave a mark. Dries very quickly. I've used mineral spirits for 20 years re-gripping golf clubs.