Cleaning Old Calfskin Heads

johnnydrums

Drumming Fool!!
Reaction score
I have never done it, and if the majority says "Don't do it" I may not. As clean and minty as these WFL's are, I'd like to have the heads in the same shape. Am I in for a tough task?? Thanks and appreciate any help.

Sorry, Mods please move to Resto and Rehab Tips, or delete. I was thinking that vintage heads..vintage venue. oops

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Top - Soap and water usually do the trick for me but it depends on what I'm trying to remove. Just be aware that if you really start to scrub, the head will start to "shave" down and get thinner. So - a great way to clean up a really thick drum head but also an easy way to put a hole in it or make it very uneven if you aren't careful. I rehabbed a 22" Slingerland head covered in duct tape without too much trouble. I think the main rule is just be light with it. Also remember that as you use water, the head will start to expand and loosen, so be sure to dry it off and seat it back on a drum afterward to keep its shape.

Attachments

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do not use hot water, it will take the gelatin out of the head, nice luke warm water, as Mike says, do not submerge the whole head in water, it will unseal the tucking

I know calfskin, this place moos of calves of seasons past at night

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once cleaned an old Pandeiro that had a goat-skin head. Amazing how good it looked after a wipe with a damp, soft cloth. Don't even think about tuning back up until it's totally dried out however.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
TopHatJohnny said:
I have never done it, and if the majority says "Don't do it" I may not. As clean and minty as these WFL's are, I'd like to have the heads in the same shape. Am I in for a tough task?? Thanks and appreciate any help.

Sorry, Mods please move to Resto and Rehab Tips, or delete. I was thinking that vintage heads..vintage venue. oops
THJ, I know that you are "Mr. Clean" when it comes to restorations but stay away from steel wool, sandpaper and bleach! LOL!
Seriously do not saturate only wipe it down with a lightly dampened towel sparingly, let it air dry for several hours at least before playing it. I am not sure about the dry eraser but you could try it out on your face first to see how it works! :jerk: