Cleaning sharpie off old K signature

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
When I bought this old K the weight was written under the bell in sharpie almost directly over the original signature from the foundry.

what’s the best way to try to remove the sharpie without danger of losing the signature as well?

Attachments

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Since there are no liquids involved (other than water), you can be very precise with your cleaning.

Otherwise, rubbing alcohol may work. Just use a swab or something similar to keep it precise.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's two things there...the signature has been there for what 50 years... the gram marking what 8? I've washed old Ks and that signature is almost----by this time-----embedded into the bronze.

Just do it. Use nothing too toxix use the least (suggestion above) the least it takes to remove the magic marker have a hunch.....the signature will survive Good Best of luck,

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lestoil .
I had some jerks Sharpie my car and it took off the markings and left the paint and clear coat intact.

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
what kind of doofus would do that! anyone who cared about gram weights should know the value of that signature on there.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
gonna tell ya one thing that signature being present or rubbed off worn off not present has no bearing to the sound of that (or any) cymbal on any bandstand that's the last thing you're thinking about

ha!~
it was but the inspectors sign off

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Qtip with rubbing alcohol. Squeeze it so it is barely damp and do not go near the signature! Slow and steady....you may need a few passes.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
gonna tell ya one thing that signature being present or rubbed off worn off not present has no bearing to the sound of that (or any) cymbal on any bandstand that's the last thing you're thinking about

ha!~
it was but the inspectors sign off
Yeah the sound comes first. But the signature is a piece of the history

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is what the previous owner did;

don't sweat it; it's how that particular one will be recognized going forward

The signature is ingrained pretty stubborn by now baked in, Will probably lighten as you clean the later graffiti.

I'd almost leave it as part of that one's history

You will leave your mark on it too.
Let us know how it doesn't work out perfectly.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever did that is a hack with no regards to the signature. I don't blame you for wanting to remove the sloppy mess and restore to its original beauty

Masecar

Reaction score
My pair of K hats has someone else's initials on the bottom in paint pen but as far as I'm concerned that's part of the sound now. I think if I tried to remove those letters it would remove some of the patina too. They're on the undersides of the cymbals so I ain't worried about it.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
Whoever did that is a hack with no regards to the signature. I don't blame you for wanting to remove the sloppy mess and restore to its original beauty
Yeah that’s kind of my thoughts. I got it from a pretty reputable drum dealer too.

I’ve seen all his old Ks numbered and labeled this way under the bell. Hopefully he is a little more careful on the others... kind of tells you they’ve got a stock pile of old Ks just sitting numbered in a storage unit not seeing any play time

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
of my 17 old Ks
only 5 still sport their inspection ink sig

K inkSigs
err make that 6 it's very confusing..
...altho I only counted 5 (I quit)

1..2...3 (twice....4....5

there it's maddening the whole K thing ; )
18 New Stamp, 16 Intermediate, 22 New Stamp. (repeat), 20 New Stamp, 14 Type III

KinkSigs 001.JPG KinkSigs 002.JPG KinkSigs 003.JPG KinkSigs 004.JPG KinkSigs 005.JPG KinkSigs 006.JPG

KinkSigs 004.JPG

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
had this 1940's Constantinople 14 and 3/4ths that was used for high hat top. It had a smudge of crude near the signature that I left as I did not want to remove the signature. Gave it away with a set I sold.

20180327_124857.jpg

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd just leave it in fear of removing part of the siggy.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lots of Q-tips, just a little solvent on each. Be presice, wipe then toss the Q-tip and get another, repeat.
I can agree with JDA & JP, it's part of its story, but it's also defacing part of its history.
If it were mine I would try to clean around, and save the original.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Pink69

Reaction score
Be glad that the signature is still there. I think of signatures as being the icing on the cake!