Cleaning sharpie off old K signature

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and 12 more- without inspection signature-lawless- just because i can mo! [= D

KinkSigs 022.JPG

(paperthin old K con 13" courtesy of spongeBob

KinkSigs 021.JPG KinkSigs 022.JPG KinkSigs 023.JPG KinkSigs 024.JPG KinkSigs 025.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
running without any papers...

KinkSigs 029.JPG

KinkSigs 026.JPG KinkSigs 027.JPG KinkSigs 028.JPG KinkSigs 029.JPG KinkSigs 030.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sign zee papers nein nein nein!

KinkSigs 031.JPG

KinkSigs 031.JPG KinkSigs 032.JPG

Last edited:

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I hear ya! I was at the beach last weekend and found a drum shop. Went in just to check it out and stumbled upon an old Ludwig kit on consignment with a pair of 14” Intermediate stamp hats. The owner wanted to sale everything together but I’ve got a decent offer in on the hats, waiting to hear back

Hopefully they join the collection!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Intermediate signature (if you're into such things!) on a 16;
different than zee New Stamp sign off..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sounded awesome! The center hole are still small though. Is there a hi hat sleeve they work best with, minus drilling the holes
I'd go with yamaha Clutch (or tama) . It's not 'always' you run into hole fit troubles. Intermediates hi hats never stuck around here for very long long. They are as hi hats- unusual. Pretty potent on the Ice part of Dry dark Ice...(I presently have 16, 18 and 20 did have a 22 at one time; Intermediates) altho today there isn't anything that sounds comparable from any other maker anywhere..

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That signature is already very faded. And some of those gram weight numbers are pretty close or over-lapping the edges of the signature.
Lightly cleaning with soap and water can even fade that signature a bit.

Does that extra writing devalue the cymbal? Probably not. If it does, it might only be 1-3% of the value at most. A missing or partial signature on the other hand is a much larger effect.
One way to assess the value of the signature is to ask yourself how much would you pay to have the "original signature" back on again (hypothetical of course). For me, I would start at 5%.....up to 10%. YMMV.
Of the "fresh" very early A's I've run across....80% had the factory sigs under the bell. That was probably the norm.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell one observation the signature has lasted the Longest on 1) Ones that are broken- Out of Service and 2) Ones that haven't been played very often;

Last edited:

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
The signature would never play into my decision of buying an old K, sound and price would.

But since I’ve got this old k and the signature is there. Might as well preserve it.

I don’t care much for the sharpie on top of it. I’ll try to do some work on it this weekend

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t want to name drop but yeah
He also advertised 'them all as Old Stamp- which Yeah old compared to Avedis USA K's ; )
But not in old K lexicon. But that's ok " he has a lot on his mind I'm sure".. : )

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
use another sharpie and rub it well on what you want to remove and while it's still wet wipe it off.
or use acetone.

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alcohol removes Sharpie readily.
Start conservative with isopropanol. I have commercial grade isopropanol but it's essentially the same thing as drug store rubbing alcohol.
Rubbing alcohol typically contains additives like lanolin so I avoid it if possible, but it works. The stronger percentage (90%) works better.
Denatured alcohol is more effective. It's just ethanol with some added methanol etc. They doctor it up so people won't drink it.
Then there's ethanol. Unadulterated. Does the job. And gives me an explanation for why I have grain alcohol and vodka in my finishing room.
As always, it pays to do a test. Sharpie some meaningless uncoated metal surface, flash dry it with a hair dryer, then clean off the Sharpie ink.
As we're heading into the weekend, you can always holler back over your shoulder: "Honey, I'm just going to Flanagan's to get some high grade cymbal cleaner".

Last edited:

Nick Mc

Reaction score
Isopropyl alcohol will work. Use a Q-tip and rub it lightly. It should come right off.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lots of Q-tips, just a little solvent on each. Be presice, wipe then toss the Q-tip and get another, repeat.
I can agree with JDA & JP, it's part of its story, but it's also defacing part of its history.
If it were mine I would try to clean around, and save the original.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
This is my general approach. If the ink has nothing around it you can soak the solvent in better. But the ink is almost on the signature, so you want to try to use detail work. Chances are the solvent (I've used hairspray, alcohol, and wd-40 and other stuff just look up sharpie removal) will be less effective as JDA stated on the 50 year old signature than the 5-10 year sharpie (if it is even sharpie. It could be a less durable marker ink if you're lucky.)

Get the alcohol or whatever and dip the q tip in and work only the ink area. You could end up with some pooling and slight staining when it gets wet and muddies the marker ink, but be ready to dab it with a paper towel.. I'd say some diligence and careful detail work might render success on your part. If you get squeamish abort mission!!! AAAAAHHHHH don't blame me! Proceed at your own risk! The primary goal is to enjoy the cymbal by playing it eh? (HAHA) Good luck!

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Acetone. Rinse with water and dry.