Cleaning/soaking tension rods ->rust & gunk

bfulton

Reaction score
Hi - I’ll bet somewhere on this forum there is an long thread about things to use to soak lightly rusted, dirty tension rods.
Vinegar?
Coke (regular)?
Lemon juice? With salt?

I’ve picked up the idea of a final wash with Dawn, and then I’ll be running the rod through a die.
I don’t think they’re bad enough to merit the steel wool in a vise, then a drill.

Advice? Link to thread?

Attachments

tischrealdrum

Reaction score
I recently soaked bunch of tension rods overnight in WD-40 and that got rid of most of the rust and gunk. I still scrubbed some with a wire brush after that (and I second the suggestion to wear gloves).

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
A die will remove the plating and some metal which make them loose so not a good idea.

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - Let in lie in coca-cola and rub with aluminium (that's how we spell it is South Africa - I think you guys spell it aluminum in the States) foil. I did not believe it at first but it works - I cleaned some quite badly rusted hoops with it. Takes some patience and rubbing but there appears to be some chemical reaction which works. Its worth a try.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I bought stainless steel cleaner to use on old tension rods, WD40 as well. Especially if they're not in good shape--a soap isn't going to get the job done.

I always mention this guy. On youtube, RDavidR has MANY vids on refurb'ing and cleaning old kits up.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using cheap hardware brand Muriatic acid for 25 yrs on rusted car parts ($2/gallon last time I bought some). And then found out the stuff works just fine on rusty drum tension rods from 20 min to 24 hrs. It's not that concentrated an acid either. The threads are the hardest part though. Stems clean up easy. Though if the chrome is broken anywhere, all you can do is clean down to the base metal. Which will re-rust fairly soon unless oiled, painted, waxed, etc. For old rusted steel drum parts from the 30's and 40's like clamp mounts, leg mounts, cymbal mounts, etc. this stuff works good.

For your tension rods I'd give them a 20 min dip in an aggressive cleaner.....then spend a couple minutes wire brushing out the threads to remove any gunk.