Cleaning Sparkle finishes

JFL5150

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anybody ever cleaned a sparkle finish? how would go about getting the hazy cloudy look of a sparkle finish? rubbing compound ? wax? plastic cleaner? thanks in advance!!

JFL5150

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this kit from the Slingerland facebook group very solid kit ! It was painted black and it arrived cleaned up very clean but it has some scratching and hazyness in the finish what can make this shine again

Attachments

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you’ll need to get down under that initial scratched layer... I’ve done similar to old Slingerland and Ludwig sparkle wraps though not as badly damaged as yours. I used an orbital buffer with abralon polishing pads (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZF3FS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PDXANWHJBTSVXBTCKNDM) They’re actually made for polishing bowling balls but work great on drum wrap (I’m sure automotive pads would work as well, I just happened to have these around my shop). I started with the 500 with some compound, and worked my way up to the 4000. For your level of damage I’d start more aggressive with the 360. Followed by a coat of wax... they were smooth and glassy and it even got rid of the orange peel on the old wrap, they looked better than new.

HOWEVER, an issue I ran into, and one I think you’ll experience in even greater amounts is, the polishing compound/auto wax I used got into the joints between the wrap and the wrap plugs I made on some filled holes, and was a nightmare to clean out. It left a white residue behind and made the plugs stand out. Your wrap, with the multiple stripes, will certainly have that issue. I guess maybe try and find some compound or polish that doesn’t leave behind white residue. Or, just expect it and plan for it.

JFL5150

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post a pic and you can get a more definitive answer...at least from me! : )
Always good to see a pic of what you would like answers on.
Posted pics below thanks
you’ll need to get down under that initial scratched layer... I’ve done similar to old Slingerland and Ludwig sparkle wraps though not as badly damaged as yours. I used an orbital buffer with abralon polishing pads (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZF3FS8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PDXANWHJBTSVXBTCKNDM) They’re actually made for polishing bowling balls but work great on drum wrap (I’m sure automotive pads would work as well, I just happened to have these around my shop). I started with the 500 with some compound, and worked my way up to the 4000. For your level of damage I’d start more aggressive with the 360. Followed by a coat of wax... they were smooth and glassy and it even got rid of the orange peel on the old wrap, they looked better than new.

HOWEVER, an issue I ran into, and one I think you’ll experience in even greater amounts is, the polishing compound/auto wax I used got into the joints between the wrap and the wrap plugs I made on some filled holes, and was a nightmare to clean out. It left a white residue behind and made the plugs stand out. Your wrap, with the multiple stripes, will certainly have that issue. I guess maybe try and find some compound or polish that doesn’t leave behind white residue. Or, just expect it and plan for it.
thank you for the help!!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Ooof, you have some serious scratches going on there. Maybe caused by whomever cleaned the black off. ?
2000dan2000 has got you in the right direction. If anything, you might want to try polishing compound and then wax to see if it makes s any difference before going to sanding. I’m pretty sure though you’ll have to go the sanding route. Do a small test area on bottom line f bass drum or somewhere ‘inconspicuous’ in case things go south on you. If any Polish/residue in between wraps, I think you could easily get it out w/a toothbrush/brush etc. Good luck and have fun! Nice kit as well!

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe a good headlight/clear plastic restoration kit would have the right sanding grit to get the scratches out from the over aggressive abrasives that were used. That is where I would start anyway and see what that would do, You can order a good kit from Eastwood auto restoration that is for clear plastic gauge panels and plastic headlights. I'd start there!