Cleaning up Yamaha badges

The Otter

Reaction score
I recently bought a Yamaha Absolute Maple kit and I absolutely adore it. It has some minor blemishes, but I am fully attached to making it look and sound as good as it can possibly can. The biggest problem that needs solving (if possible) is cleaning up the badges on the kit. Specifically the badge on top of the kick. I didn't take a good picture of it but you can see the style from the posted pictures. There seems to be a brown-ish rust that has set in. I have heard about cleaning this with Coca-Cold and aluminum foil, but I worry that will damage the metal (gold colored). Does anybody have any suggestions about what to use to carefully clean this or should I just leave it alone?
m2nsjqxine9lqxs3dtcl.jpg
qwumehzcjzgaq3eq8hy0.jpg

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used a household brass cleaner on the badge of my Tama snare (which may not even be brass but looks like it) - worked perfectly.
Won´t work if the Yamaha badges are laquered though.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's probably a raw brass badge, or it may have a really poor clear coat over it like the Pearl badges of the 90's. Some bar keepers friend or flitz or some of these paste style cymbal cleaners would likely polish those up.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need a badge close up. If I recall, they have lacquer which is peeling. Take one off and determine if metal or plastic.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The later Absolutes had Chrome finishing on the badge, unlike their predecssors. I've never noticed a coating on any of my Yamaha badges.

Last edited: