Clear Coat on Hardware?

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys. I will soon be restoring a rare 1957 Sonor set that at first glance looked hopeless. However its 95% complete and I think I can save it.

Anyway, the lugs, rims , snare clips, etc were once chromed, but rust and flaking and pitting have really done them in. What I'm thinking of doing, after getting the rust off with Dawn, etc, is going over all of them with emery cloth, trying to get them down to the bare metal, polish, and then spraying them with Clear Coat. My thinking is that this would be the best they could look without a re-chrome, which I was not going to do because of the expense.

Any thoughts? Have any of you used Clear Coat on the metal parts?

lovethemGretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done that to some cheapo drums and stands/hardware just so they're presentable; used Bullseye spray shellac (seems more durable than acryllics). Only thing to watch out for is the increased thickness of it can interfere with sliding fits ...
- Does the trick !

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I think your solution could work fine.

I once sanded down a large steel cowbell to bare metal then clear-coated it with Flecto-Varathane from a rattle can.
It looked like a factory job and the coating lasted for 25 years.

Edit: Evidently "slawman" bumped this 4 yr.old thread today in order to suggest "Re-chroming"??

wow.