Click Theory 2.0

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I wanted to share an instructional series that I uploaded to YouTube some years ago. It's called Click Theory 2.0, an expansion of the concept of using the metronome in different ways, displacing it to different parts of the beat and using the metronome to create cross-rhythms with patterns and exercises. The series evolves from mechanical exercises into melodic coordination and metric modulation.

There are both practice pad and drum set focused videos with downloadable PDFs accompanying each video. I hope there are some new things here to practice while we're in quarantine!

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
It's a fascinating subject. As a counterpoint, you have the Jeff Berlin perspective on metronomes -

-
I've always been somewhere in the middle.

edit: Aghh, the video was removed! It was Jeff Berlin pointing out how the use of a metronome, especially during the learning phase of most anything, can be counterproductive. He also held the view that too much reliance on one could lead to it becoming a crutch and impede the development of your natural ability (feel) to keep musical time.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I wanted to share an instructional series that I uploaded to YouTube some years ago. It's called Click Theory 2.0, an expansion of the concept of using the metronome in different ways, displacing it to different parts of the beat and using the metronome to create cross-rhythms with patterns and exercises. The series evolves from mechanical exercises into melodic coordination and metric modulation.

There are both practice pad and drum set focused videos with downloadable PDFs accompanying each video. I hope there are some new things here to practice while we're in quarantine!

Thanks for sharing, MDA.

Latest posts