closed roll help needed please

MrYikes

Reaction score
Hi, I've been away from drums 40 or so years. I'm trying to regain what I had but I'm 75 so I won't get it all back, but I am having trouble getting a smooth pleasant closed roll. Could someone give me some ideas on how to go about getting it to happen, please. Just like my wife's gravy, it's lumpy.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This subject can be difficult to convey in written form, so one suggestion is to get on to YouTube and check out some videos on the subject. Granted there are plenty of bad ones out there, and you'll have to weed through them, but you will come across some very good examples.

One thing I would ask is how are your single strokes and your open rolls? If they are "lumpy" or inconsistent your closed rolls won't be very good either... so it really starts with a good foundation.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"apply" pressure..
just a little more, past
Or "release" pressure (soften up) and contain the natural bounce; contain it between within your R-L.
Your R-L are the demarcation (fence)posts- what happens in-between those is (bounce) dribbles; but contained by the 'fence posts".

then with your ear "lighten up" so there's ' no difference' between the dribbles in the middle and the fence post's (the pulse attacks)

seamless. we're going for 'seamless'
we're stirring a pot of soup..with both hands ( Ha!

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is when a rubber(or mesh) pad comes in handy. We all learned to roll on these as it facilitated the
bounce/ rebound to make a smooth roll.....for days
I’d start there, right at the beginning

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Both hands need to sound the same! For most drummers, it will be the left hand that needs more work. Also, your hands don't need to move that fast if both hands sound equal.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
This is the technique I was taught and what I now pass on to my students.

Three basic axioms:
A) Both hands/sticks should come down equally and evenly (i.e. same force and pressure).
B) The buzz in each hand/stick should last the same length of time and have the same quality of sound.
C) Don't lift a buzzing stick until the next stick has started.

Start with a matched pair or sticks and the snares disengaged.
Have a metronome set at about 60bpm and then begin alternating buzzes on the click, playing about half way from the rim. I call these "one-zies", and they basically represent the quarter note. Do this for one minute and then proceed to "two-zies" (the eighth note) for the next minute and so on and so forth....(I can manage nines and tens of a good day!) And don't forget 5's and 7's too!

Spent about 8-10 minutes a day on this and you should be pleased with the results, but remember that you must always listen to what you are doing in order to teach your hands.

MrYikes

Reaction score
Thank you. I went to the library to download some utubes (I'm still on dial up 3kps). Got about 50 of them. Watched them yesterday. Some were great. Some were embarrassing for the guy that made them. Some told me what they had for breakfast before telling me to hit near the rim. There was one kid that did 40 rudiments and the us army field band drummer, I will watch and learn from those two more than any. Though they both used the matched grip, whereas I still use the old left hand method. Some were just guys playing solos. Some good some not. A lot of drummers don't know what to do on a solo and sound that way. A guy named Morelo had a good one.
My practice pad is cork glued to a plaque. My metronome is the old wind up. I had three battery powered, but gave those to the grandkids when they started with music.
Once again, thank you all for the help.........I know I'll be back for more.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What heads are you using, what's the depth of the snare, and how do you have it tuned? I find it easier to buzz with certain snares, and tuning. How have your doubles been since you started playing again?

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
What heads are you using, what's the depth of the snare, and how do you have it tuned? I find it easier to buzz with certain snares, and tuning. How have your doubles been since you started playing again?
That's a good point, didn't think about that.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see if you stuck with it, and how you're doing if so?

Latest posts