Coated Ambassadors....

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can also try a different coating

I'd say different treatment with Ren's, but no coating.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think I've told this story before - but anyway - a long time back, probably late 80's, I had a very regular client... a producer/engineer that i'd been doing projects for since he first opened his studio.

And as he was checking my availability to do an upcoming project (that was pretty important), he sort of sheepishly said that there had been a couple of other drummers in the studio recently (pretty known session guys) playing on projects that engineered on - and he was really struck by how great their drums sounded and the only thing they could see that they had in common was their use of coated Ambassadors. This was really coming out of the era of using anything but coated Ambassadors - hydraulics, pinstripes, CS heads... anything but coated Ambassadors. He was just impressed by how the sound just (his words) "jumped off the tape".

So he very respectfully asked, if I would try using them on this upcoming project - and even offered to buy the heads.

Now I've never been the shrewdest business guy in this respect - but this on seemed a total no-brainer. So much of the time, when we aren't meeting a client's expectations, they just tend to move on to the next guy that can. But here was a client openly expressing, here's what's not working for me - and offering up a solution (at his expense).

Anyway for once I was on the ball enough to say "Wow - that's sounds really interesting. Of course, I'm totally game to try that - and don't worry about that heads. I can take of that - no problem.

And to my ears - he was right. They do make the drum sound "jump off the tape". I think it is something about how they present the initial attack of the drum. It is that initial burst that announces when the drum is being hit - thus being imperative that that burst is able to cut through the wash of the mix.

Anyway - I was sold - still am. And use coated Ambassadors about 90% of the time - even quite often on bass drums.

Oh and I remained that client's first call guy until he stopped producing and became solely a mastering engineer some 10 years or so later.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I’ve been using Evans EV1 on batters and clears on resonant sides. The coating holds up better than Remo, stays clean of stick marks, and sounds good. Long-lasting, too.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an A/B’d the coated Ambassador vs. the Aquarian texture coated which is also a 10 mil single ply. But, the Aquarian coating seems to be lighter and smoother than Remo coating, at least when new. So, if the Remo is more resonant, there must be something about the mylar film that’s different.
My understanding is that they are different films. Evans & Remo use the same Dupont mylar film. Aquarian uses something else.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Virtually every snare that I've owned has gotten a Coated Ambassador on it to start. It is the baseline.

In the past couple of years I've found myself liking Coated Vintage Ambassador heads. They just work for me.
They eventually seem to end up on every snare.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree. They're just a good reliable head. I keep trying other brands and other heads, but I can always count on coated Ambassadors.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the past couple of years I've found myself liking Coated Vintage Ambassador heads. They just work for me.
A little over 10 years ago I bought one of those on accident. I tried it on my snare and loved it. Now days most of my snares get the Vintage Ambassador or Renaissance Ambassador. Toms get coated Ambs 9/10 times.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I have two kits. Coated Ambassadors on one and clear Ambassadors on the other. Great heads. I find there's a BIG difference in what Evans calls their equivalents.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
which calfskins?
I have been using Earthtone. They are not the most consistent from a quality perspective, but they are inexpensive and easy to obtain. It helps that I live forty miles from them :) I have one kit totally outfitted with them (even the snare reso side), and a few snare drums. Here is a clip of the kit. Has a nice, old school vibe:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the head manufacturers make good stuff but the day I tried Aquarian it was bye bye Remo!
Only other heads I'll use are the Weathermasters which in my opinion are unbeatable for Ludwig snares.

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using Earthtone. They are not the most consistent from a quality perspective, but they are inexpensive and easy to obtain. It helps that I live forty miles from them :) I have one kit totally outfitted with them (even the snare reso side), and a few snare drums. Here is a clip of the kit. Has a nice, old school vibe:
Didn't know they were close by and I've never tried them out. Are they open to the public?
Great jam video by the way!

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Virtually every snare that I've owned has gotten a Coated Ambassador on it to start. It is the baseline.

I’m a big Vintage Ambassador fan also. Great for snares. On toms as well, sort of like a built-in quarter piece of moon gel.

boomstick

Reaction score
It's one thing I don't have to think about. All my drums get Ambassador coated batters, except the BD which gets an Aquarian Superkick.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like and use coated Ambassadors, but I also think they're overrated (for the amount of praise they get). I mean, lots of people buy big macs, doesn't make it a great burger (I think habit and convenience come to mind). And yes, like Ambassadors, I'll have a big mac from time to time. In the end, what heads I use is dependant on what drum I'm using, the music I'm playing, sound I'm trying to achieve, room, mics, engineer/soundman, etc etc. Lots of variables. I've encountered situations where an Ambassador just isn't cutting it; too papery, too thin, a tad too bright. I have no fixed brand I use, no fixed line - I'll use anything that meets the requirements. I generally prefer the vintage or X coated Ambassadors to the regular. Just a bit more thickness helps, I find.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
A little over 10 years ago I bought one of those on accident. I tried it on my snare and loved it. Now days most of my snares get the Vintage Ambassador or Renaissance Ambassador. Toms get coated Ambs 9/10 times.
Not trying to say it's not a good head - I'm curious but have never tried it - but just so nobody is surprised when the box shows up: Vintage Ambassador is a 2-ply head. Why they called it an ambassador I don't know.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not trying to say it's not a good head - I'm curious but have never tried it - but just so nobody is surprised when the box shows up: Vintage Ambassador is a 2-ply head. Why they called it an ambassador I don't know.
It's modeled after the very first version of the Ambassador from the late 50's.

I use them on my toms as well when I want a thudier sound.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Same for me.
A Coated Ambassador will sound as bright, or as fat and beefy as I want, without any fooling around.
On every drum, including the bass drum.
I like the JP model CA aslo. It uses the white film as the base, and it has a slightly more focused sound in however you tension it. Great on floor toms if you need just a little less sustain, but the same type of sound.