coated diplomats on the bottom, any difference?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been following the "Sounds like a drum" yt videos, and I liked the sound in the "thin resonant head" video.
I use a Gretsch New Classic bop kit, and I tune on the high side, typical bop tuning. I had been using clear bottom heads forever, thinking they give me the most resonance. Based on the video, I got some 12" and 14" coated Diplomats to try - and I liked the change. I think I finally feel/hear a difference with coated reso heads, for the better.
Curious as I am, I now tried a coated Ambassador on the bottom of the 12", made a short a/b video and I can't hear a difference! Seems likecoated instead of clear (which was quite a move for me) makes more of a difference than the thickness. I like the idea of easier response at low volume, but the difference seems neglectable.
Has anyone ever tried coated Diplomatsas tom resos? What are your thoughts?

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried thin coated reso heads on a kit I built recently. I wanted a quieter less resonant sound for use in small rooms,.. café type setting. I always used clear heads on reso before.. but I like these.. much more controlled

Johnny K

Reaction score
I haven't tried a coated reso yet. Alll 5 of my Catalina Maple toms have coated Pins over clear Dips. My Cat snare has a coated Ambassador Vintage over a hazy snare Dip. I think I'll give one a try. How thick are coated Dips? IIRC clear Dips are like 7mil.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How thick are coated Dips? IIRC clear Dips are like 7mil.
Good question. How thick is the coating? 1mil, 2mil? It's never mentioned as a factor (as opposed to the Fiberskyn coating, for example).

Coated bottom heads in general: I used to think they'd only change the decay time of the fundamental, but they also seem to influence the overtones of the batter head. Less high-edn, more mid-range. Coated or clear, Amby or Dip., it all seems rather subtle; room etc. probably make a bigger difference.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Diplomat on the bottom will have a bit less lower frequency content.
I was gonna say. If you switch, and you hear this weird high end overtone that you haven’t heard before. It’s your bottom heads
The thing is, I made an a/b recording of the 12" and couldn't tell them apart (coated Amby vs. dip). And cholics know I'm not tonedeaf ;)
In general I think you don''t hear many overtones from the bottom head if you tune really even. Apropos tuning, there might be a bigger effect at lower tunings, triple flange hoops etc. I might make an a/b soundfile of the whole kit for you to judge.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Seb,
I think this is an interesting observation you posted. I'm interested particularly in this idea:

"Coated bottom heads in general: I used to think they'd only change the decay time of the fundamental, but they also seem to influence the overtones of the batter head. Less high-edn, more mid-range."

That sounds like a very desirable trait to me. Thanks for posting!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thing is, I made an a/b recording of the 12" and couldn't tell them apart (coated Amby vs. dip). And cholics know I'm not tonedeaf ;)
In general I think you don''t hear many overtones from the bottom head if you tune really even. Apropos tuning, there might be a bigger effect at lower tunings, triple flange hoops etc. I might make an a/b soundfile of the whole kit for you to judge.
Yeah. Admittedly I only tried dips one time and that was 20 years ago at least

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some times I really miss the olden days....lol....

Snare side-hazy
Diplomat-coated
Ambassador-coated
Emperor-coated
Black Dots

Oh wait, for you whippersnappers-"Pin Stripes".

Hard to go wrong or BROKE working up a head combo back then.

Worse thing that could happen? You wind up with a Black Dot or a Pin Stripe reso...lol. And we learned how to make it work-we bad no choice. Not like you could run out and buy a set of Evans to "try out"!

(Yes, I *know* we also had the various Ludwig Weathermaster offerings back then as well. But pretty much fell into the same categories as above iircc).

dsop

Reaction score
A very nice combination, which seems to have been overlooked by most, is Clear Ambassador batter, over Coated Ambassador resonant. That's the ticket right there! Trust me, you'll love it.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A very nice combination, which seems to have been overlooked by most, is Clear Ambassador batter, over Coated Ambassador resonant. That's the ticket right there! Trust me, you'll love it.
Funny, I have never tried that.

Looking at 12" Rogers Tower tom that could use some attention.

I will give it a try.

Thanks for the heads up D.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a clear Emperor over a Coated Diplomat on my Ludwig floor tom and it's been great.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I'm currently using the odd combination of clear Pinstripe batters over coated Ambassador resos and I love the tones I'm getting! It's not something I would have tried on my own, but that's what was on the kit when I bought it and to my surprise they sounded great!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The diplomat reso sound is not for me, at least not with coated Ambs or Emps on top. It's just too short a sustain for my taste with overtones that aren't as pleasing to me. I understand why some of you like them though.

Latest posts