Coated heads on a kit... been awhile

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that fire season is gone (for now) I finally have a set of RN2 Renown setup in the garage and loving them. However, the clear emperors they come with might be a little too attack heavy, so I'm thinking about moving to coated heads, but it's been a long time since I've had all coated on a kit. I hesitate because they can be a little too soft sounding when I want the attack I just said was too much.

It might have more to do with not playing for most of the year in a band setting where I'd want that attack. If so, then for now coated should be ok. I usually go with ambassadors, but I'm keeping an open mind this time and I'm not even going to refuse Evans this time around ( :) ). What luck have my DFO brothers and sisters had with coated heads on your kit and which ones?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that fire season is gone (for now) I finally have a set of RN2 Renown setup in the garage and loving them. However, the clear emperors they come with might be a little too attack heavy, so I'm thinking about moving to coated heads, but it's been a long time since I've had all coated on a kit. I hesitate because they can be a little too soft sounding when I want the attack I just said was too much.

It might have more to do with not playing for most of the year in a band setting where I'd want that attack. If so, then for now coated should be ok. I usually go with ambassadors, but I'm keeping an open mind this time and I'm not even going to refuse Evans this time around ( :) ). What luck have my DFO brothers and sisters had with coated heads on your kit and which ones?
I use Aquarian coated Super 2's for the batters. Double ply but it's 7 mil and 5 mil. Not the usual 14 mil's like on other double ply heads. The purpose is that they have the positives of both a double ply and single ply. Very balanced! After much trial and error, these are the right heads for me! For resos I use coated as well, Aquarian hi-frequency which are 7 mil. They are the equivalent of coated diplomats.
I'll never use clear heads again!

Last edited:

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've just about settled on Coated Ambassadors. I've gone back and forth with Coated or Clear reso heads, I really like them both ways. For gigging I feel the Clear reso project more but in a extra small areas Coated resos are nice. On my Bass drums I like the PS3 head. Ambassador FiberSkyn, Smooth White, Coated and Clear.

sherm

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy a set of Ambassadors until I discovered that I had a nearly new Aquarian for one of my rack toms and my shop didn't have an Ambassador to fit my floor tom. I therefore bought another Aquarian for my other rack tom and Evans UV1 heads for my snare and floor tom.

Since I'm comparing different drums as well as different heads, it's hard to generalize, but I definitely like the Evans UV1 heads the best. I can't put my finger on why, but the UV1 heads just seem to bring the best out of the drums they're on.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See this thread for more discussion:

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used coated G2s over clear G1s on my Renowns for years. I recently switched to a coated G1 batter on the rack tom to open it up a little since I mount it in a snare stand. The difference is subtle but I like it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Aquarian coated Super 2's for the batters. Double ply but it's 7 mil and 5 mil. Not the usual 14 mil's like on other double ply heads. The purpose is that they have the positives of both a double ply and single ply. Very balanced! After much trial and error, these are the heads! For resos I use coated as well. Aquarian hi-frequency which are 7 ply. They are the equivalent of coated diplomats.
I'll never use clear heads again!
Multi-ply guys probably just creamed their jeans over that statement ( :-D ).
However, I think you meant they're a single ply 7 mil head....like a Diplomat, which you did mention.
That is a pretty cool head setup, though.

Elvis

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not coated but you could try the Aquarian Studio X. Single ply clear but with built in control rings. Pretty durable and cut some of the harsher overtones but still maintain the clarity and tone of a clear head.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I think you meant they're a single ply 7 mil head....like a Diplomat, which you did mention.

Elvis
Oh boy! Nice catch!
I guess my brain was stuck on the word "ply" when writing that sentence, LOL!
I have corrected it, Thanks

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Elvis
Yeah, I'm mostly digging the idea of those heads on a kit.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not coated but you could try the Aquarian Studio X. Single ply clear but with built in control rings. Pretty durable and cut some of the harsher overtones but still maintain the clarity and tone of a clear head.
IIRC I tried Studio X long ago and found them kind of hard sounding. They might be good on a kit that's a little tubby and needs some clarity, but I'm not sure how well I'm remembering those heads.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's more than one kind of coating too.....FIBERSKYN anyone?
Its a thicker application than the traditional white coating.
Might be be the "happy medium" that Cauldronics is looking for?
I know an FSA is currently my favourite bass drum head.

Elvis

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love coated emps and vintage coated emps so much warmth with that said I’ve switched to smooth white coated for the attack and the warmth. Coated wears out to fast playing all the time.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
See this thread for more discussion:
Perfect thread link. I'll give it a good look.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love coated emps and vintage coated emps so much warmth with that said I’ve switched to smooth white coated for the attack and the warmth. Coated wears out to fast playing all the time.
Smooth white have no coating, don't they? Maybe there's a new version of coated smooth white?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I love Aquarian Texture Coated heads on my tom batters. I usually use some kind of medium weight clear on the bottom.