Coated Remo Emperors vs Coated Evans G2

mcirish

Reaction score
The title says it all. I currently have coated Ambassadors on my toms (Ludwig Classic Maple). Coated on top and clear on bottom. I like the sound but do find I have to use some muffling when recording. I used to use Pinstripes but I felt they were a little too thuddy and I didn't care for the pronounced plastic attack sound. I much prefer coated heads and thought maybe I should try either Emperors or G2s. They are very similar but I'm sure there are differences. What would you choose and why? I have no specific brand loyalty. For snares, my two favorite heads are the Remo Controlled Sound and Evans HD Dry. Both are fantastic so the brand doesn't really matter to me.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Go with Emps
G2s sound plasticky to my old ears.
IMHO
On snares though,i use Powercenters,bass-emad 1,when i cant I get an SK1.
Whatever works for ya.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have g2s on my cheap mahagony kit. I personally l love the way they sound. I put my old 2 ply heads on as resos to cut out of of the overtones and I absolutely love the sound. Nice warm and balanced. I also use wood tip sticks instead of nylon which helps it not sound so plasticky.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just switched to Evans due to the durability, price, and maybe more importantly the sound and feel I have with them.

I have clear g2's on top (g1's on the bottom) and love them!

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Neither.
Try Evans UV2 heads.
UV applied coating.
Mine still look brand new after many hours of taking a beating.

Vicey

Reaction score
I've come to dislike double-ply heads, even in rock settings. Thus I recently reheaded my toms with Ambassadors replacing the Emperors. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm think that the next time I change heads I might use the Ambassador X, which is 12 mil (as opposed to the regular Ambassador's 10 mil) but still single-ply.

I'm an old Remo guy, but I have heard good things about the Evans UV heads.

Has anyone tried the Ambassador Xs? Might they be what the op is looking for?

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
Every Evans Coated G2 I've had was considerably more open than an Emperor of the same make up. I've had Coated Emperors that were even deader than a Pinstripe. I guess I'm a single ply guy! If I were to use a 2 ply I'd use a Pinstripe,,,,and would use a clear to get some of the tone back.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've come to dislike double-ply heads, even in rock settings. Thus I recently reheaded my toms with Ambassadors replacing the Emperors. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm think that the next time I change heads I might use the Ambassador X, which is 12 mil (as opposed to the regular Ambassador's 10 mil) but still single-ply.

I'm an old Remo guy, but I have heard good things about the Evans UV heads.

Has anyone tried the Ambassador Xs? Might they be what the op is looking for?
I've used Ambassador X heads a lil' bit. They're nice! They do split the difference between a one ply and a two ply head. One ply attack witih two ply warmth.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had Coated Emperors that were even deader than a Pinstripe.
There was an a/b audio test long ago that made me think the same, it was clear Pinstripes vs coated Emperors. Not sure how Pinstripes would compare to clear Emperors, which might be the 2ply heads I like best (never played G2s).

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really dislike Evans heads , as mentioned previously they have a real plasticy sharp attack and stuff feel that I just don’t like .

I have come back to Remo after a long absence and will stay with them from now on . They have a feel and sound that are just perfect to my ear .

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer coated G2’s. Tune up and sound amazing right away with no break in period.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Evans G2's Clear and Coated sound defined and punchy....not dead sounding like Emperors. I use Clear or Coated depending on the particular kit

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the sound of both, but overall prefer Evans because the coating lasts much, much longer than Remo.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I much prefer coated heads and thought maybe I should try either Emperors or G2s. They are very similar but I'm sure there are differences. What would you choose and why? I have no specific brand loyalty.
Either one will be great. I think all the major head companies these days have really excellent, competitive products.

The differences, to me, between a double-ply coated Remo, Aquarian or Evans head are really quite minimal. I have kits with all kinds of mix-and-match head brands. Doesn't bug me a bit.

Burps

Reaction score
I once put a clear G2 on a floor tom after using Remo Emperor and Ambassadors, and the Evans felt like I was hitting a 9 ply head with no tone whatsoever. It even seemed more lifeless than a Hydraulic head. Maybe I got a dud.

LarryJ

Reaction score
I have used coated Ambassador X on my jazz floor toms with coated Ambassadors on the rack toms (clear Ambadsador resos on both) for a couple of years. The X adds just a touch of bottom end without cutting the sustain. They truly are somewhere between Ambassadors and Emporers.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An I hijacking the thread to ask about the Evans G14's? They're 14 mil thick but only a single ply? Anyone have any experience with them? I guessed they'd be a little more open than the G2 since they are a single ply, but still have the same durability. Would they have the same fullness and punch?