Coated Remo Emperors vs Coated Evans G2

m_anderson

Reaction score
I just cannot get into Evans at all, except the EC2 for tom batter heads. This is the only Evans head I will ever use.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ambassador X -- split the difference. I sat behind Gadd at a Chick Corea show a few years ago and he was using the X heads exclusively after being largely associated with the pinstripe sound. They sounded amazing (of course he could make anything sound amazing). You get the snap of an Ambassador with a supercharged low-end.

BNK

Reaction score
Depending on your music genre I recommend coated Emperors over coated Ambassador, winning combination for warmth and controlled attack.

Once I tried this combination on my Yamaha PHX I never looked back, was previously using coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador but it just wasn't a warm enough sound.

For a heavier musical genre I recommend clear Emperor over clear Ambassador for a more aggressive, wet sounding attack.

The experience I've always had with Evans heads is they tune up great and sound nice initially but loose their zing fairly quickly. Remo heads stay fairly consistent during their lifetime, some might say they even improve with age. Has something to do with the type of film the different heads are made from. This is just my experience and opinion and was not stated to initiate conflict.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
An I hijacking the thread to ask about the Evans G14's? They're 14 mil thick but only a single ply? Anyone have any experience with them? I guessed they'd be a little more open than the G2 since they are a single ply, but still have the same durability. Would they have the same fullness and punch?
G12 is Evans' equivalent to the Ambassador X. Haven't tried a 14mil single ply, that's a lot of mylar in one piece. I guess similar to the 2x7mil of a G2 or Emperor, maybe a tiny bit brighter, but the 12mil heads are already quite muted compared to 10mil.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Have played both. Definitely prefer coated ambassadors top and bottom for almost all applications. Sometimes a coated emperor on the floor Tom to fatten it up a little.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Coated G2 and coated emperors Are the most requested head’s for our drum rentals. As such, I have quite a bit of experience with both putting hundreds of heads on a year.

Durability: Evans heads tend to last longer which can be a big deal to many players.

Cost: Evans heads are generally cheaper

Coating: Evans heads coating is far superior to Remo’s coatings. This actually has a lot to do with the durability comment above. It’s not necessarily that Remo heads wear out more quickly; it’s that every stick mark is very noticeable on Remo coated heads. Stick marks are hardly noticeable on Evans heads.

Color: Evans heads are “whiter” (more blue) in appearance and Remo has more yellow in it’s coloring. No big deal of course, but Evans heads tend to look “newer” and Remo slightly more “vintage”. Not overly important some players might want to take that into account.

Break-in: Hands down, Evans heads require less break-in period. Far quicker to get them to hold pitch than Remo.

Quality control: while both companies produce high quality products, I have run into a three or four “duds” from Remo over the years. These were heads that produced no tone at all when tuned up. I’ve never had that with Evans. I’ve heard the same from other reputable sources.

Tuning range: I find that Remo heads tune a little lower than Evans heads overall. This is important since so many contemporary music styles tend for lowest possible tuning.

Tone: this is subjective of course, but I tend to think Remo heads sound a bit warmer and perhaps more “musical”. Evans head’s do have a bit of a “plastic” quality. These differences are subtle but exist.

Overall: I would suggest taking all these comments into consideration and determine what is most important to you. Both types of heads are great.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Evans vs Remo threads never fail to show an even division between the two camps, and always for the same reasons.

I play Remo and everything else but Evans.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really dislike Evans heads , as mentioned previously they have a real plasticy sharp attack and stuff feel that I just don’t like .

I have come back to Remo after a long absence and will stay with them from now on . They have a feel and sound that are just perfect to my ear .
100% agree!

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Remo coated ambassador and emperor are the only drumheads (controlled sound coated or clear are acceptable on gretsch drums only) everything else loses mojo ;)

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Coated G2 and coated emperors Are the most requested head’s for our drum rentals. As such, I have quite a bit of experience with both putting hundreds of heads on a year.

Durability: Evans heads tend to last longer which can be a big deal to many players.

Cost: Evans heads are generally cheaper

Coating: Evans heads coating is far superior to Remo’s coatings. This actually has a lot to do with the durability comment above. It’s not necessarily that Remo heads wear out more quickly; it’s that every stick mark is very noticeable on Remo coated heads. Stick marks are hardly noticeable on Evans heads.

Color: Evans heads are “whiter” (more blue) in appearance and Remo has more yellow in it’s coloring. No big deal of course, but Evans heads tend to look “newer” and Remo slightly more “vintage”. Not overly important some players might want to take that into account.

Break-in: Hands down, Evans heads require less break-in period. Far quicker to get them to hold pitch than Remo.

Quality control: while both companies produce high quality products, I have run into a three or four “duds” from Remo over the years. These were heads that produced no tone at all when tuned up. I’ve never had that with Evans. I’ve heard the same from other reputable sources.

Tuning range: I find that Remo heads tune a little lower than Evans heads overall. This is important since so many contemporary music styles tend for lowest possible tuning.

Tone: this is subjective of course, but I tend to think Remo heads sound a bit warmer and perhaps more “musical”. Evans head’s do have a bit of a “plastic” quality. These differences are subtle but exist.

Overall: I would suggest taking all these comments into consideration and determine what is most important to you. Both types of heads are great.
This. My experience after more than 15 years of being a Remo only guy.

jb78

Reaction score
+1 for coated Emperors over coated Ambassadors. I’ve tried a few batter heads on my newer (2006) Ludwigs and nothing beats the Emperors, though I never tried Evans-never a big fan.

BNK

Reaction score
What a bummer of a statement. We've got to work on our etiquette. It's a sad day when someone has to preemptively apologize for having an opinion about drum gear.
It's been my observation on virtually all online communities that comparing two brands of anything can be very polarizing. Readers often forget each one of us are merely stating their own opinion based on their own subjective experiences.

Brand loyalty can be obnoxiously strong and rather than enter into a silly pissing contest I find it easier to proactively de-escalate.

Yes, this is the world we live in now, which is sad. I've also been watching an insane amount of Jordan Peterson debates during the quarantine and realize how dangerous words can be.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A few years ago, I swapped out worn coated Emperors for coated G2s on my 3-ply Ludwigs and the difference was obvious: dead. Not untunable, not devoid of tone, but still a quantum dump in overall sound quality, much less volume, as well. The worn heads were much more open and full. Not what I was after.

I also had a bit of an underwhelming experience when I replaced the clear G2s on my vintage Tama Superstars with the then-new Level 360s: the 13" head was actually snug when I placed it on the drum! I thought that was supposed to solve issues like that, not create them. Those heads tuned up and sounded very much like the non-Level 360 G2s, so I kept them.

I also saw a snare head shootout video where at least one Evans head had completely, to my ears, sucked the tone entirely out of the drum(might have been one of the UVs, but don't quote me on that).

I guess you can count me out of Evans, post-Level 360. I'm back to Remo, or maybe someone else.

Dan

fusseltier

Reaction score
When I got my new star walnut set, the first thing I did was replace the remo with Evans.. I don't understand why Starclassic comes with Evans and Star with remo.
Should be the opposite way.

AgDrumma07

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's been mentioned in this thread already but the G2s do have a plastic feel to them. That being said, my gigging kit has them and I've been really happy. I've always been a Remo guy and I can't remember why I went a different direction for this kit, but it's worked out.

Emperors have a truer coated feel to them IMO while G2s are a little more smooth. I also feel like the G2s feel thinner than the Emperors, but I've never compared the actual thicknesses between the 2.

Also, and I could be mistaken, but while the Emperors feel more genuine to me, I think the actual coating wears off faster than Evans. I'd have to look at my gigging kit to be sure, but I just played them last weekend and don't remember any coating wearing off the oldest heads.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
The title says it all. I currently have coated Ambassadors on my toms (Ludwig Classic Maple). Coated on top and clear on bottom. I like the sound but do find I have to use some muffling when recording. I used to use Pinstripes but I felt they were a little too thuddy and I didn't care for the pronounced plastic attack sound. I much prefer coated heads and thought maybe I should try either Emperors or G2s. They are very similar but I'm sure there are differences. What would you choose and why? I have no specific brand loyalty. For snares, my two favorite heads are the Remo Controlled Sound and Evans HD Dry. Both are fantastic so the brand doesn't really matter to me.
Evans all the way!

Latest posts