Coles 4038

The Otter

Reaction score
I read an article where the engineer for Steve Jordan said one of his studio tricks was to put a Coles 4038 directly above him and compress the mess hell out of it. Has anyone tried this technique? I can only afford one at the moment. Also, if anyone on this forum has any leads on a used one, I have checked Reverb and they are all lingering around $1,300. Thanks.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a pair of them as overheads and a kick mic. They sound great.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've used a pair for overheads for about the past 10-12 years.

The Coles is the first mic I've ever owned that I believe I could place out a few feet in front of a drum set and it would capture a quite useful, full-bodied, well balanced sound.

I rarely use them for that - but I'm used the way you describe would really great.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've used them commonly as stereo overheads or as a single overhead mixed in with 2 x LDCs.
It is usual to eq in some top end on the mic.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I discovered and went down this rabbit hole recently. I ended up opting for a pair of the new Stager SR2Ns, it was a bit less than that for the pair. Not exactly the same as the 4038s obviously, but a lot of folks who know more than myself compare them favorably. I've only played with mine a bit so far but have been pretty happy. Worth checking out, plenty on the u-tube.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is pretty popular and does a great job comparing. Though now I want those EQs too...

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are that similar.
The Coles are chunkier and fatter sounding.
I went with the Stager because they are small and light, and I don't have space for the heavy mic stand needed to haul a 4038 right over the kit.
For it's performance and as a very popular professional mic on drums, it's really hard to argue with the value for money a Coles 4038 represents.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have recorded with a 4038 as a mono single overhead many times with great results. To my ears, the 4038 is the most natural sounding mic at any price. Ribbon mics have to be handled with kid gloves, however.

owr

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ears aren't there yet with differences in mics, neither are my needs or my pre-amps for that matter. I liked what I heard with ribbons, so the Stagers seemed like a good place to start. There is definitely something about how the Coles sound though, if my recording needs get more serious I'll definitely get a pair one day.

I don't think they are that similar.
The Coles are chunkier and fatter sounding.
I went with the Stager because they are small and light, and I don't have space for the heavy mic stand needed to haul a 4038 right over the kit.
For it's performance and as a very popular professional mic on drums, it's really hard to argue with the value for money a Coles 4038 represents.