Colin Bailey bass drum control book

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Working on the Colin Bailey book and he mentions about practicing while keeping the heel down (or heel slightly up) and using ankle strokes only.

At some point is it ok to practice the exercises will full powerful legs strokes or would I be better off sticking with the ankle strokes ?

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I have worked out of that wonderful book and remember that there was a helpful video where Mr. Bailey demonstrates his foot technique in case you have not seen it already. I don't know for a fact, but assume it is on YouTube. Great book, you will enjoy it.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also a fan of this book . It is really excellent . I play a hybrid of heel down , heel up and slide techniques when I do this book.

fibes3

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the DVD and book.
It was a big help!

Supernoodle

Reaction score
Working on the Colin Bailey book and he mentions about practicing while keeping the heel down (or heel slightly up) and using ankle strokes only.

At some point is it ok to practice the exercises will full powerful legs strokes or would I be better off sticking with the ankle strokes ?
The exercises are great whichever technique you use. I found the issue is more about getting your brain to not fall over itself on multiple strokes!

Famous gospel chop players today are living proof that it can be done on full power heel up - if you want it bad enough it will happen...

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Heel up technique is the equivalent of starting a stroke on the snare drum from around your ear.
In my experience, it isn't.

There may be players that play heel up that can't play softly. But that's the fault of the player - not the technique.

Personally I've played hundreds of wicked soft gigs playing heel up.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess I should've read the fine print! I have worked through that book a lot, all with heel up. Really helpful regardless.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Heel up technique is the equivalent of starting a stroke on the snare drum from around your ear.
Nope. Lifting your heel up is the equivalent of moving your elbow outwards when winding up the stroke.
Don't get me wrong, I play heel down too.
But just like Moeller technique takes advantage of a "wave" going through your arm's hinges, playing heel up makes it possible to create similar, powerful and effective wave-like movement with you feet.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve used this book a lot back in the 80’s and I still use hand and foot integration alot in warmup and solos. Playing heel down or slightly up with the ball of my right foot is truthfully not even thought about. When I hear people talking about a full leg into and off the pedal, I cringe. That’s a bit too exaggerated from what I was taught.