Collabs with Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Little Nas X: Is Travis Barker Redefining Drummer Success?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Whether you love or hate his elaborately tattooed head, Travis Barker stands out as one of the most successful drummers -- selling more than 50 million albums with Blink-182 and landing himself on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Drummers of All Time.

In his free time, he's become the most requested drummer/producer in music. The 45-year-old singularly holds the title "King of Collabs!"

He's also one of a tiny handful of drummers with a signature drum set (Orange Country Percussion).

In the history of recorded music, has there ever been another drummer not named Hal Blaine whose phone has been busier than Barker's? ... He's played on big hits for P!ink ("Trouble"), Little Nas X and, most recently, Machine Gun Kelly. The list also includes:

"Jump" -- Flo-Rida

"Don't Keep Me Waiting" -- Britney Spears

"Gone In September" -- Mike Posner

"Stairway to Heaven! (Yikes!) -- Mary J. Blidge

"Bad Man" -- Pit Bull

"The Best Darn Thing" -- Avril Lavigne

Travis Barker collaborations | Travis Barker features | Alternative Press (altpress.com)

Here's Why Travis Barker Is The King Of Collabs! - The Honey POP

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for him, I say. Somebody’s gotta be the guy who’s thought of as hip enough to be the celeb drummer who plays celeb pop.

He’s made a good career out of it.

Whether or not DFO likes or listens to the music he’s played drums on doesn’t matter much. I think he deserves credit for being the right guy in the right place at the right time to cash in and he probably enjoys it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Keltner? Gadd? Colaiuta? Weckl? Lang? Harrison?
Interesting question... At 45 years old, Travis Barker is credited with 1,486 recordings by Discogs.com -- putting him ahead of Weckl (1,065) and very close to 51-year-old Gavin Harrison (1,788).

Pretty impressive considering Barker had a pretty full-time job with Blink 182 prior to becoming more active as a producer/studio collaborator as Blink continues.

Gadd and Keltner are in another dimension with 10,000-plus drum credits. As with Polaroid pictures, cars made of steel and men wearing suits to baseball games, those days will never be recaptured.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have known or thought he played on that many recordings. That boy's been workin'!

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Earl Palmer was one of the most prolific studio musicians of all time and played on thousands of recordings, including nearly all of Little Richard's hits, all of Fats Domino's hits, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by The Righteous Brothers, and a long list of classic TV and film soundtracks.

According to one obituary, "his list of credits read like a Who's Who of American popular music of the last 60 years".

When asked by Max Weinberg what more of the recording sessions he'd played on Palmer replied, "Don't ask me which ones I played on. I should have done like Hal [Blaine]. Hal used to get gold records for all the things he played on. I never did that, you know. I would like to have a room with all those things in them. It would have been nice—show my grandchildren when they grow up so they don't say, 'Oh shut up old man and sit down.' I could just say, 'Look. I don't have to tell you nothing. There it is.'

"I've been asked if people could borrow my drums because they like their sound. What the hell, they think the drums play themselves? I said, 'You really want 'em? Really? Okay. Cost you triple scale and cartage.'"

Late in his career, Palmer appeared in a music video with the band Cracker on the song "I Hate My Generation". As Addicted to Noise tells the story, "According to Cracker leader David Lowery, when Palmer was asked if he would be able to play along with the songs, he gave Lowery a look and said, 'I invented this sh!t.'"

7AB62B5E-BECC-4856-B435-9AF74678C04C.jpeg

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whether I like the artist or not, you gotta give credit to anyone who can make a living in the music business these days. Ash Soan is another one appearing on a large number (and large musical variety) of recordings. These guys know what people want, got their names out there and deliver. More power to them!

healthie1

Reaction score
Man I love this forum. Everyone is very sensible.

Yup good for him. I recently watched his MTV cribs - he's got a kit that he refers to as a gene krupa or buddy rich kit or something like that, with zildjian platinum cymbals - what a time in the world!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I like pop punk and I truly appreciate his work as a drummer even if I'm not a big Blink-182 fan. He's a very busy musician and it's a good thing.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
I think the small resurgence of pop punk the last couple of years has helped him out a bit, and he's probably helped out with it as well. OP mentioned Machine Gun Kelly, and he's also been on Kenny Hoopla's stuff as well. I know he's been crapped on a lot over the years, but you can't argue with the success he's had for this long.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm sure being married for 4 yrs to actress Shanna Moakler (Miss USA 1995) with a reality TV show and all the connections that resulted didn't hurt his career any.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Quality vs quantity or ?? As long as no one got hurt during the proceedings.....
I can also breathe easier now that he took, and takes, all those gigs I didn’t/wouldn’t want....lol.
In reality (aren’t these “reality folks” anyway) good on him and them....seriously!!!!! He is a very talented fellow......
bt