Collecting cymbals from every manufacturer: noble endeavor or stupid move

Latdrummer

Reaction score
As the title says, woud you consider it a noble endeavor or just a stupid/unnecessary path to collect at least one cymbal from every (known/major) manufacturer, for the sole purpose of enjoying the sound and being able to compare the different approaches in cymbal making?

I’ve been mesmerized with cymbals since my early teens, I remember listening to my favorite rock bands and later discovering almost all of their drummers played Paiste 2002, for some reason I was always drawn to this sound before even knowing what a cymbal was.

As years passed I grew an empiric appreciation for cymbals, I’d just listen to records and focus exclusively on cymbals, I couldn’t help it. I later would lookup what cymbals the drummer used on that record and began to know the different brands and series within a brand. Of course guitar solos or other sounds like snares or toms would get my attention but this was entirely secondary, 99% of my attention was on cymbals.

After having sort of “completed” my current Paiste set, I’ve become more and more interested in trying other brands (full disclosure, before Paiste I had a complete Sabian set because they were cheaper in my area, but sold them all after a few years). So far I have a K/Z hi-hat from Zildjian and a Trad. Crash from Istanbul Agop in addition to the Paistes.

With so many options and a very interesting used/vintage market, would it be your opinion to embark in the search for the perfect cymbal(s) from each manufacturer, so to build a meaningful and diverse personal collection, or just stick to your favorite brand or series and exploit the wonderful sounds you already have?

I’m very interested to hear your take!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and being able to compare the different approaches in cymbal making?
yes once that's thru (you have some understanding) " Cull" what you'd like to keep..
Nobody tastes them all but some get close enough. 4 jazz.
and retain some semblance of understanding cymbals.

There's factors like...Individual cymbal vs composing in a set as a group of cymbals
So it can get 'pretty far' out there..

Last edited:

notINtheband

Reaction score
Hey, I’ve used a similar reasoning (excuse) to buy over 30 snare drums. Not from different manufacturers per se, but to acquire many different voices.
For a couple decades I would only buy Zildjian. Then I went through a short Sabian phase before discovering Paiste. Now that’s all I even consider as I found I was just happier with the 7 Paiste cymbals I bought than all of the 25 or 30 i still own from Z and Sabian.
So whatever path you chose to walk, I say walk it and let us know how it goes.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would it help if we tried to come up with a list of all known cymbal manufacturers so you can estimate the money and space necessary to attempt this endeavor?

Latdrummer

Reaction score
Would it help if we tried to come up with a list of all known cymbal manufacturers so you can estimate the money and space necessary to attempt this endeavor?
Oh please no! Every time I go to youtube or read a post about a “lesser-known boutique brand” here on the forums, I try to forget the name before I find myself spending 2 or 3 hours researching about the manufacturer and looking for potential dealers. For now I’m trying to stick to the main players, so my wish list is limited to:

Paiste (11 currrent)
Zildjian (1 current)
Istanbul Agop (1 current)
Sabian (had 8, all sold)
Wuhan (had 1, sold)
Ufip
Meinl (maybe)
Istanbul Mehmet
Bosphorus (fear buying too many)
Turkish
Diril
Masterworks
Anatolian (beautiful, can’t wait to have one)

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh please no! Every time I go to youtube or read a post about a “lesser-known boutique brand” here on the forums, I try to forget the name before I find myself spending 2 or 3 hours researching about the manufacturer and looking for potential dealers. For now I’m trying to stick to the main players, so my wish list is limited to:

Paiste (11 currrent)
Zildjian (1 current)
Istanbul Agop (1 current)
Sabian (had 8, all sold)
Wuhan (had 1, sold)
Ufip
Meinl (maybe)
Istanbul Mehmet
Bosphorus (fear buying too many)
Turkish
Diril
Masterworks
Anatolian (beautiful, can’t wait to have one)
Thats daunting, but achievable over time. I figured if we got everybody’s knowledge of obscure cymbal brands together the task would become quixotic enough to save you some money

Latdrummer

Reaction score
There's factors like...Individual cymbal vs composing in a set as a group of cymbals
So it can get 'pretty far' out there..
Yeah I view cymbals as individual instruments, so I don’t try to “sonically” match them (although that’s why I did with the Paistes initially). I usually have them on stands (not as part of a drumset) and explore their sounds in an individual manner with sticks, mallets, brushes, etc. just for the sake of it. When playing a rehearsal or a gig I just use 4 or 5, this time “sonically” matched according to the situation.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nah man. Don’t do it…pick. Pick a brand and stay with it. Have your options that you really need (and some wants) and move into playing. I have too many cymbals, but at least they’re all Zildjian (few exceptions including ufip China).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title says, woud you consider it a noble endeavor or just a stupid/unnecessary path to collect at least one cymbal from every (known/major) manufacturer, for the sole purpose of enjoying the sound and being able to compare the different approaches in cymbal making?
Look. You could do it. But I'd break it down to some 5 or 6 general categories. Categories based on method of manufacture. Country of origin.
Alloy. And pick a year. Time period. Say 1970/1975.

there'd be about 4. maybe 5 if you add in a Ufip.

Swiss Paiste (602 and 2oo2) count that as 2 , a Turkish-made K Zildjian, an American Avedis Zildjian, want a Chinese? Wuhan, a Ufip.
If you want a Japanese Brass you could do one of those.

When looked at from 50,000 ft there's about 6 types.....and today it's been spun into 60 . But still is really only 6 or 7.
in fact I think I have them right here..

Last edited:

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well if your impetus is to simply own one from every manufacturer you'll have alot of unplayed cymbals laying around. Then what? Spend the money on your girlfriend or wife...or both.
Who says you have to use the same cymbals at every gig?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I grew up in the USA in the '50s and '60s the only cymbals I ever heard on recordings were Avedis Zildjians, so today the only cymbals that match the sounds in my head are Zildjians. So that's what I buy: A-, K-, K Con- and A Avedis-series.

Never in my life have I bought a cymbal 'just to own it' without the intention of using it to make music. And over the years (decades, really) I've heard enough cymbals by all the major manufacturers that I'm familiar enough with the results that each of their approaches to the art of cymbal making yields.

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I wouldn't say "stupid" because it's not, but I wouldn't even think about doing something like that.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said you could narrow it down to about 6. Having each representing a country, a method of manufacture, and alloy.
It could help to enlighten clarify the 245 brand (exaggeration) and variations available today.

from either continent a K, an A , a Swiss B20 a Swiss B8 , an Italian and a Chinese.
...walk into a bar of music

Last edited: