Collecting cymbals from every manufacturer: noble endeavor or stupid move

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You need a new cymbal each month when YATB (yet another Turkish brand) surfaces.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the brain capacity or time to get my head wrapped around all the choices out there.

These days, any of the major, and even not so major companies, can give you nearly every sound you could ever want. Find your brand and run with it.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
As the title says, woud you consider it a noble endeavor or just a stupid/unnecessary path to collect at least one cymbal from every (known/major) manufacturer, for the sole purpose of enjoying the sound and being able to compare the different approaches in cymbal making?

I’ve been mesmerized with cymbals since my early teens, I remember listening to my favorite rock bands and later discovering almost all of their drummers played Paiste 2002, for some reason I was always drawn to this sound before even knowing what a cymbal was.

As years passed I grew an empiric appreciation for cymbals, I’d just listen to records and focus exclusively on cymbals, I couldn’t help it. I later would lookup what cymbals the drummer used on that record and began to know the different brands and series within a brand. Of course guitar solos or other sounds like snares or toms would get my attention but this was entirely secondary, 99% of my attention was on cymbals.

After having sort of “completed” my current Paiste set, I’ve become more and more interested in trying other brands (full disclosure, before Paiste I had a complete Sabian set because they were cheaper in my area, but sold them all after a few years). So far I have a K/Z hi-hat from Zildjian and a Trad. Crash from Istanbul Agop in addition to the Paistes.

With so many options and a very interesting used/vintage market, would it be your opinion to embark in the search for the perfect cymbal(s) from each manufacturer, so to build a meaningful and diverse personal collection, or just stick to your favorite brand or series and exploit the wonderful sounds you already have?

I’m very interested to hear your take!
If you can afford it and your wife won't divorce you, why not? If I were in those two boats, I would get (for instance) one 16in thin crash from every high quality maker. It would be fun to compare them live. Plus, they wouldn't take up THAT much room.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I travelled down the road that you speak of. I learned a lot about cymbals, what worked for me, and what didn't. It was an expensive education, but I don't regret it.

At one point I had full setups (and then some) of...

Zildjian A

1631649339635.png

Paiste 2002

1631649419939.png

Paiste Signature

1631649504887.png

Sabian AAX

1631649604164.png

As well as the Zildjian Constantinoples set up on the kit in these photos.

Although I don't have group photos like this of them, I also had full setups of Zildjian A Custom, K Custom, Bosphorus Traditional, and Sabian HHX.

It was fun to have all of those options, but I tended to play Zildjians for almost every gig.

These days I have full setups of Zildjian A, K, K Custom, and K Constantinople. Everything is Zildjian, and even this is much more than needed.

My K setup is on the kit where I rehearse, a set of Zildjian low volume cymbals are on the kit in my practice room, and the rest are all in their respective Humes & Berg cases. I usually gigged with my Constantinople set in my two previous bands, I'm thinking that my K Customs are the go to for my current band.

Last edited:

Latdrummer

Reaction score
I would get (for instance) one 16in thin crash from every high quality maker
Yes that’s my plan, just having one representative cymbal from each manufacturer (be it a crash, ride or other). As many have stated there’s no point in having a bunch of unused cymbals lying around.

On the other hand it’s not about an impulse purchase, on average I buy 1 cymbal a year (2 at most on certain years) so definitely I’m not rushing it, I really enjoy the “hunt” and the wait when looking for the perfect cymbal.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
Yes that’s my plan, just having one representative cymbal from each manufacturer (be it a crash, ride or other). As many have stated there’s no point in having a bunch of unused cymbals lying around.

On the other hand it’s not about an impulse purchase, on average I buy 1 cymbal a year (2 at most on certain years) so definitely I’m not rushing it, I really enjoy the “hunt” and the wait when looking for the perfect cymbal.
Now that I've given it some thought, ride cymbals would probably be the logical choice. They often have a sound that doesn't always jive with your other cymbals even if they're the same brand! They are bigger and cost more bucks though.

For a while I was actually "collecting" cymbals with 3/8 mounting holes. I had two Italians, two "first stamp" K. Zildjians, a no name brass student cymbal and one cracked nickel silver (assuming) thing that got tossed out. All I've got left is the brass one. CLANG CLANG CLANG

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have no idea what the end result is for you, but as someone who did this with snare drums years ago, here’s what happened: I got far enough into it to realize I was wasting my time and started selling them off one by one. That said, if this is on your bucket list then go ahead. I think it’s more valuable though to ones character to be lean in material things. But everyone’s journey has different results for the traveler, so have at it.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As the title says, woud you consider it a noble endeavor or just a stupid/unnecessary path to collect at least one cymbal from every (known/major) manufacturer, for the sole purpose of enjoying the sound and being able to compare the different approaches in cymbal making?

I’ve been mesmerized with cymbals since my early teens, I remember listening to my favorite rock bands and later discovering almost all of their drummers played Paiste 2002, for some reason I was always drawn to this sound before even knowing what a cymbal was.

As years passed I grew an empiric appreciation for cymbals, I’d just listen to records and focus exclusively on cymbals, I couldn’t help it. I later would lookup what cymbals the drummer used on that record and began to know the different brands and series within a brand. Of course guitar solos or other sounds like snares or toms would get my attention but this was entirely secondary, 99% of my attention was on cymbals.

After having sort of “completed” my current Paiste set, I’ve become more and more interested in trying other brands (full disclosure, before Paiste I had a complete Sabian set because they were cheaper in my area, but sold them all after a few years). So far I have a K/Z hi-hat from Zildjian and a Trad. Crash from Istanbul Agop in addition to the Paistes.

With so many options and a very interesting used/vintage market, would it be your opinion to embark in the search for the perfect cymbal(s) from each manufacturer, so to build a meaningful and diverse personal collection, or just stick to your favorite brand or series and exploit the wonderful sounds you already have?

Why? I don’t see the point. Better to just buy cymbals that sound great to you, dontcha think?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know if you will have anything of value, in sound or money, when you are done. Heres a website that i posted about before that you may be interested in.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think of percussion instruments as tools. Unless I have a garage the size of a postage stamp, I don't need to limit myself to one slip wrench that will kind of work for any situation, but that will probably strip most fasteners. I'd rather have lots of specialized tools that are perfect for many specific applications.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what he wants is a taste of different brands. You can do that without going to extremes. Over a lifetime most of us do it anyway. If you want to do it all at once. 6 categories I mentioned above. Get a 20" of each. That's about 6.
But over a lifetime you will have sampled just about everything out there eventually anyway

use your head your instincts and pocket book and pull the triggers when ready
but it's not as nice simple clean and cheap as sampling every flavor of yogurt at the walmart

Chasforeman

Reaction score
Getting great exposure to many brands/lines through trading with members here. Its like having a cymbal subscription. All you do is pay shipping.

Reactions: JDA

gra7

Reaction score
Every time I go to youtube or read a post about a “lesser-known boutique brand” here on the forums, I try to forget the name before I find myself spending 2 or 3 hours researching about the manufacturer and looking for potential dealers.
I admire what you are attempting to do. I am going to give Red Cymbals a shout out - they have a motto I can stand behind. I just sold a set of 7 A Zildjian, a set of 5 Ufip Class and a set of 5 Meinl Pure cymbals that I had and replaced them with 3 sets of Red Cymbals (Darks, Traditionals and Glows). Don't regret it for one second.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At some point, I considered collecting (at least) one cymbal from each independent cymbalsmith, but there are so many new ones around now that I wouldn't even try anymore. I have the following:

Bettis
Calabria
Collingwood
Lauritsen
Funch
Johan VDS
Michael Paiste
Nolan
Spizzichino

QualTech

Reaction score
As far as your collection addiction, I get it. That is not for me, but collecting things is a fun adventure. Good luck with it.

I never understood the loyalty to any particular cymbal manufacturer. I can see buying a "package" of a brand, especially when you're on a budget. I couldn't wait to get my first pack of A Customs. But after several years, I just go for a sound. I only have 4 cymbals and hats, but they all have the specific sound for how I play. 20" Paiste 2002 for ride (with a swing down sizzler); a 19" Zildjian Dark Thin Crash (used for rock ride as well); 16" Sabian Artisan crash (best sounding cymbal I own); 10" Paiste PSTX Swiss Splash; and the 13" Zildjian K top, Z Custom Dynobeat bottom hats. I have probably gone through 60 other high end cymbals over 40 years, but these work for me, pretty much for the last several years. I am still keeping an ear out for the perfect sounding hats, so I may change that. But I'm just an old beater - its not like I record or anything.

FrankF

Reaction score

I am going through something that is just the opposite. For more years than I care to city I have played Zildjian. I have Z’s from the 60’s mostly including K custom dark hats that I purchased about a year and a half ago. But here’s what happened I heard some Paiste cymbals and was just blown away! So, I decided to buy three sets of new Paiste, the Master series, the Signature series and the 602 Modern essentials. I love them, whenever we play out people are always complementing on the sound of tge cymbals. The guys in the group also noticed the difference right away. I am now selling all of my vintage Z’s. I never thought that would happen but it did.
the only way I would collect all manufactures sample was if I really selected great sounding items. I think that would take a lot of time and money. A noble effort, good luck

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s both stupid and noble at the same time. Nothing wrong with that haha. I think it’s a cool idea.

Steech

Reaction score
Here you go. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

Agazarian
Agean
Ajaha
Amedia
Anatolian
Arborea
Artist
Bellotti
Bosphorus
Camber
Centent
Chang