Color to match vintage Gretsch walnut kit?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well I'm definitely not a pro wood finisher, but I have done lots of wood projects. The rack tom is pretty close to the bass. I would strip the FT easily, sand it down lightly, then hope for a close enough match. I'm not going to go thru color matching many boards, etc. I was ambitiously hoping a close color would simply be found out of a can.

The bigger issue for me, frankly, would be getting a quality clear coat finish without bubbles. I refinish by hand and prefer satin finish for that exact reason. When I refinished a vintage Jazzette kit a few years ago, it turned out killer with a lovely satin finish. Here, both the rack and bass are glossy and very smooth to the finish.....so yes, part of me says leave it be. The alternate plan is I have an 8x12 SSB tom I may strip and try to match, too, instead of doing the FT. There is a matching 11x13 on eBay now but the price is more than I paid for the entire kit, so forget it. Maybe I could put the shell up for a trade and get super lucky but doubtful.

Btw, the rack is a 7x10 Catalina maple in walnut gloss. This was nearly a deal breaker as I prefer vintage USA, but it's actually better than I imagined and the color is nice and has similar but smaller lugs. Neither of the toms have die casts, though, and I won't spend the $$$ on them. It's a perfect little kit as is for my home office. I just turn my chair 90 degrees to the left and the kit is there, with a HH stand and a mounted 19" flat ride when I get an inspiration to play, which is multiple times a day the past few months.

Pics are rack, bass, FT......

View attachment 441624 View attachment 441623 View attachment 441622
Can you post a photo of those from 15-20 feet away medium low light?

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suggest some members re-examine the original photos of the OP.
Color blindness is more common in males than realized. Just sayin'

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know, my ocd has mellowed with age, I say leave them as is and play them!
And even if you get the color right you’ll never get even close to the clear coat!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pedro, I agree. My biggest worry is that the Finish will look like crap because I'm not good with glossy finishes. The 13 is not as nice as the other two drums but is decent. The other drums look new. I'm sure I can get a close final finish. The real issue for me is color matching the stain.

I also put up a Wanted post just in case.....

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m sorry, I should never have said never! I just know from experience, we have a custom cabinet shop with a kickass spray booth, that it’s hard for us to get a “Gretsch” finish!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I suppose in a dark smokey Club no one's going to tell.... the logo is temporarily on only because it's the normal size logo I thought it look weird on a 14-inch head but I suppose it would work.....

20200517_153711.jpg
20200517_153642.jpg
20200517_153653.jpg

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cannot tell at all. Especially the first shot. And this is not a dark room at all. Same with second shot. You have to look really hard.

Yes, in the last shot...drivers set....you can tell.

It really bugged me ….like A LOT when I got the Rosewood snare....It really really looked walnut on the ebay ad. So I feel your pain

I asked the guy and he said he didn't know. We went back and forth.

I bought it.

It sounded amazing.

My eyes adjusted and unless I said something or was playing in direct sunlight ….no one knew.....or cared.

I really, really should have kept those drums. (But my Round Badge DO sound better...I can tell the difference)

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you want them to match, why not strip all of them and apply the same stain to all of the shells?
I am definitely tempted to do that except two of the drums have near perfect finishes. The finish on the odd drum is nice and original but it has some scratches and nicks, but I can live with that - it just doesn't match color wise.

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I suppose in a dark smokey Club no one's going to tell.... the logo is temporarily on only because it's the normal size logo I thought it look weird on a 14-inch head but I suppose it would work.....

View attachment 442102 View attachment 442103 View attachment 442104
Not that you asked , but I'd leave em . They look close enough especially after you set up your cymbals and with them and the bass drum and floor tom are in the shadows . I am a sucker for Walnut finish which is weird as I never got into wood finish drums until I got my bop set . Now I have 3 sets in wood grain ....

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jazz: That FT is so similar to your other drums, I honestly think it will look worse if you mess with it. That gloss finish is (to me) the big deal to replicate.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jazz: You know, in looking at your beautiful set....if you really want to do something, I think you would be far better off leaving that beautiful floor tom alone, but stripping the BD hoops to bare wood, , and staining THEM a color in-between the bass drum and floor tom. Its an old decorators trick....it would tie together the whole set to the naked eye.