Colorsounds grew on me.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When Paiste brought back the Colorsounds, I knew I wanted a purple set to go with my new red/blue hybrid sparkle (purple looking) Saturn V. I asked Murat to get a set of them in, so I could try them. I ended up getting the 14" hats, which sounded great, 16" crash that sounded too much like a splash, so it went back, 17,18,19 crash which I wasn't in love with at first, and the 18" china. I also got the 8" and 10" splashes which sounded fine. I already had the Danny Carey sig ride in purple, that is a great dry rock ride. Not quite as nice sounding as my Neil Peart sig ride, but looked great with the kit, along with the new arrivals.

After almost a year with the crashes, I was almost ready to give up, and put a different set on my recording kit. It wasn't until I started recording original music with an old friend, that I realized how nicely they record. The Crash cymbals loose the splashy cheapness that I was hearing from behind the kit, and have a very balanced, tight, clean sound that because of the paint, get out of the way very quickly. One of my favourite drummers, who also happens to be a Mapex endorser, Aquilis Priester, has all of his Paiste cymbals treated with the Colorsound treatment, and I think I understand why now. He plays a monster kit, and is very busy, and wants sounds to happen, then get out of the way for the next sound. Glad I gave them a chance. Just need to add the 20" crash now, and I am complete. :)

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, you're going to give us a great post - with no pictures????

This is just not cool, Bandit! Please rectify.

GeeDeeEmm

Toast Tee

Reaction score
I notice with lots of Paistes crashes, I can't tell how amazing they sound until I hear em recorded, or someone else playing em. From behind the kit, my 18 2002, sounds great, but weak, for lack of a better term. I love its tone, but doesn't seem to have enough attack. However, recorded, or standing a few feet away, it's sick!
To my ear, nothing cuts through more than Paiste. Not just cutting, but musical.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I notice with lots of Paistes crashes, I can't tell how amazing they sound until I hear em recorded, or someone else playing em. From behind the kit, my 18 2002, sounds great, but weak, for lack of a better term. I love its tone, but doesn't seem to have enough attack. However, recorded, or standing a few feet away, it's sick!
To my ear, nothing cuts through more than Paiste. Not just cutting, but musical.
I have my Sabian tattoo permanently affixed, and probably didn't give other companies enough of a chance. Whenever I listened to Paistes at a store, they always sounded a bit cheap to me. Probably just a sound I wasn't used to .

Burps

Reaction score
I have my Sabian tattoo permanently affixed, and probably didn't give other companies enough of a chance. Whenever I listened to Paistes at a store, they always sounded a bit cheap to me. Probably just a sound I wasn't used to .
Same here. I always passed up Paiste's after testing them in the store because Zildjian and Sabian sounded nicer to my ears. Then after some time and research I started purchasing some Paiste's, even though I was not really loving the sound in person. But I knew some of my favorite drummers were using these exact Paiste models and they sounded fantastic. I finally learned that they shouldn't be judged, like any cymbal or cymbal brand, until heard in the mix and/or on recordings. Eventually I grew to love the Paiste sound both played alone and in the musical mix.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Sabian owes you royalties! I somehow remained inc free. You must have really loved Sabian (both of you)
My first set of cymbals came w/my first kit. Sabian B8's, and they were a fairly new company. Needless to say, it was years before I played on any again. When I needed a larger cymbal in a pinch, I picked up a 19 AAX Explosion, and got rid of it in a week. To my ear, it was just loud, not musical at all, and if Paiste didn't already have a "Rude " line, it would have been the perfect name. Paiste Rudes sound amazing imo, should not have that label.
My first Paiste was a 20 inch Sig ride. I had got a "bunk" one, or I didn't have the technique to play it right at the time. It would just wash out on me, no matter where I played on it.
A few weeks later, I played a 14 inch SE Sig, and that was it. I was in love.
I did pick up a couple K's, and A's along the way, but by then, I was spoiled, and hooked on Paiste.
One thing about some Paiste crashes, they sometimes don't sound great to me when behind em. However, after hearing others play em, as well as recorded, I never spend another penny on any other brands.
Even their entry PST lines have that amazing Paiste tone

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sabian owes you royalties! I somehow remained inc free. You must have really loved Sabian (both of you)
My first set of cymbals came w/my first kit. Sabian B8's, and they were a fairly new company. Needless to say, it was years before I played on any again. When I needed a larger cymbal in a pinch, I picked up a 19 AAX Explosion, and got rid of it in a week. To my ear, it was just loud, not musical at all, and if Paiste didn't already have a "Rude " line, it would have been the perfect name. Paiste Rudes sound amazing imo, should not have that label.
My first Paiste was a 20 inch Sig ride. I had got a "bunk" one, or I didn't have the technique to play it right at the time. It would just wash out on me, no matter where I played on it.
A few weeks later, I played a 14 inch SE Sig, and that was it. I was in love.
I did pick up a couple K's, and A's along the way, but by then, I was spoiled, and hooked on Paiste.
One thing about some Paiste crashes, they sometimes don't sound great to me when behind em. However, after hearing others play em, as well as recorded, I never spend another penny on any other brands.
Even their entry PST lines have that amazing Paiste tone
You probably didn't give that xplosion enough time to open up and talk to you. Kind of like me and my Paiste's. Starting with the 19" was probably a mistake. Big and loud. I have a full set Xplosions and they are great sounding cymbals. I actually like the Xplosion fast crashes even better. Signatures do sound great, but they are way too costly. I can find great sounding cymbals in the Sabian line up for much less cash.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
You probably didn't give that xplosion enough time to open up and talk to you. Kind of like me and my Paiste's. Starting with the 19" was probably a mistake. Big and loud. I have a full set Xplosions and they are great sounding cymbals. I actually like the Xplosion fast crashes even better. Signatures do sound great, but they are way too costly. I can find great sounding cymbals in the Sabian line up for much less cash.
You're probably right. It just felt, and sounded unlike any cymbal I've ever hit, and didn't like it. Explosion is an understatement, well at least from what I'm used to.
I needed a "big" sounding crash for a recording, and it did deliver. At the time I had my eye on a '77 20 2002 Medium (that also makes a statement)
I can see if I had an entire set of Explosions, I may have grown to use em.
I did hear a Sabian I absolutely loved at the Sam Ash in LA. It was a 22 (or maybe a 24?) HHX. I couldn't tell you more details about the model, but it was very thin, with a brilliant finish.
A guy I met there was from the same pt of NY I'm from, and also a Paiste guy. We put up a 24 GB, and compared. They were both great, but I'll admit the Sabian sounded as good, or better! The price tag on that was even greater than the GB. It was in the 602 ME price range.
That is one Sabian I would get for certain if I knew what it was???.
Does Sabian make a 24? I wish I wrote it down.
However, nothing sounds like the 15 2002 SE. My all time fav cymbal(s), and I don't think I'd change my setup, although I do swap out for different occasions.
15 SE, 14 Heavy Sigs, or 2002 14 Heavy
20 GB, or Vintage 602 18 to R
18 2002 (that stays put to L)
24 2002, or GB
18 2002 China
8, 10, Sig splashes.
Thoes stay on my kit. I gig as light as I can get away with though.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When Paiste brought back the Colorsounds, I knew I wanted a purple set to go with my new red/blue hybrid sparkle (purple looking) Saturn V. I asked Murat to get a set of them in, so I could try them. I ended up getting the 14" hats, which sounded great, 16" crash that sounded too much like a splash, so it went back, 17,18,19 crash which I wasn't in love with at first, and the 18" china. I also got the 8" and 10" splashes which sounded fine. I already had the Danny Carey sig ride in purple, that is a great dry rock ride. Not quite as nice sounding as my Neil Peart sig ride, but looked great with the kit, along with the new arrivals.

After almost a year with the crashes, I was almost ready to give up, and put a different set on my recording kit. It wasn't until I started recording original music with an old friend, that I realized how nicely they record. The Crash cymbals loose the splashy cheapness that I was hearing from behind the kit, and have a very balanced, tight, clean sound that because of the paint, get out of the way very quickly. One of my favourite drummers, who also happens to be a Mapex endorser, Aquilis Priester, has all of his Paiste cymbals treated with the Colorsound treatment, and I think I understand why now. He plays a monster kit, and is very busy, and wants sounds to happen, then get out of the way for the next sound. Glad I gave them a chance. Just need to add the 20" crash now, and I am complete. :)
So I read your post. And then I went to MyCymbal. And I have some Paistes I really like, my big venue pop/blues set up is 15 ME, 22ME, 20 Thin 602, and 20 Masters Dark. And I though, yeah. these look cool and the price is right. But damn, they just sound dead. ( You're dead to me ... Ha" ) Not my thing I guess.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
So I read your post. And then I went to MyCymbal. And I have some Paistes I really like, my big venue pop/blues set up is 15 ME, 22ME, 20 Thin 602, and 20 Masters Dark. And I though, yeah. these look cool and the price is right. But damn, they just sound dead. ( You're dead to me ... Ha" ) Not my thing I guess.
That was a little confusing. First you said you like em, than you said not your thing?
Maybe you liked how they sounded on vid, but disappointed when you got em?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was a little confusing. First you said you like em, than you said not your thing?
Maybe you liked how they sounded on vid, but disappointed when you got em?
Not quite... I have Paistes I like that are not Colorsounds. But when I went to listed to the files of the Colorsounds I didn't like them...

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Not quite... I have Paistes I like that are not Colorsounds. But when I went to listed to the files of the Colorsounds I didn't like them...
Ahhhhhh. I'll have to check it out. I've seen em played by that street player, turned walking commercial, and they sounded excellent.
How do the ME 602's compare to the vintage 602's?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just playing ME 22 and 15 hats. Hats are a little chunkier, maybe more meat. Ride is not as pure. More like a 602 with little a sound creation thrown in.

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Just playing ME 22 and 15 hats. Hats are a little chunkier, maybe more meat. Ride is not as pure. More like a 602 with little a sound creation thrown in.
I'm considering picking up a 20 ME crash. Being I've yet to play any of the ME's, I'm not sure what the sound creation mojo is? They look really light in comparison, but that's just going by what I've seen on YouTube. If it would have that vintage explosiveness to it, I'm in. I have 2 18's I love, but wouldn't mind an even bigger sound

Now for that ride...
I picked up a Blue Bell about 6 months ago. Is there any difference between the one you have, the one I'll put a pic up of, and the obnoxious one, with a picture of Copland? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, but idk if i could play a ride with him watching me lol. I got a never played one but for $125 off CL, I couldn't turn it down. . I'd trade that straight up for a ME 20 crash

Attachments

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a 20 ME crash. Being I've yet to play any of the ME's, I'm not sure what the sound creation mojo is? They look really light in comparison, but that's just going by what I've seen on YouTube. If it would have that vintage explosiveness to it, I'm in. I have 2 18's I love, but wouldn't mind an even bigger sound

Now for that ride...
I picked up a Blue Bell about 6 months ago. Is there any difference between the one you have, the one I'll put a pic up of, and the obnoxious one, with a picture of Copland? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, but idk if i could play a ride with him watching me lol. I got a never played one but for $125 off CL, I couldn't turn it down. . I'd trade that straight up for a ME 20 crash
Just to follow up... A 20" ME crash would be too heavy for me, the 602 thin is as heavy as I'd like. I have a Masters 20 that I would like to get re-lathed to be lighter. But that's me. And yes, the 22 ME will not be very pingy. There's stick, but not like a 2002.

markkarj

Reaction score
I find my ears have different "modes" so to speak. When I set up Zildjian or Sabian setups, they seem to have the most general versatility. I sometimes go for Paiste Giant Beats because I have not found that sort of high end gloss from any other manufacturer. Then I'll go completely in the opposite direction and use my Istanbul Agops for an ultra dark sound.

I suppose with the Coloursounds, I've mostly let my ears make the judgement call when I've been at a music store. They've always felt too "restrained" to me. But on the other hand, maybe that's what makes them good under mics (I record very little these days).

Latest posts