Commentary Requested on Evans UV2 Drumheads for snare and toms

Torquey

Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear what those familiar with the Evans UV2 heads think about them in actual practice. While I love the big resonance of my 3 ply Ludwig Legacy Mahogany drums, I notice that if they begin to get out of tune, the single ply heads seem quite unforgiving, producing a "boing" magnified (I think) by the highly resonant quality of the drums. This is less of an issue with my 6 1/2 x 14 Black Beauty and yet, perhaps a UV2 could tighten up that ring as well without killing what makes it such a great snare.

I am not a fan of really dead sounding drums, so I am not looking to make them sound like cardboard boxes. Yet I was wondering not only about the sound, but the feel, the amount of rebound, etc., before I spring for a set.

My Tom sizes are 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, & 16x18.

Thanks folks; very much appreciated!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear what those familiar with the Evans UV2 heads think about them in actual practice. While I love the big resonance of my 3 ply Ludwig Legacy Mahogany drums, I notice that if they begin to get out of tune, the single ply heads seem quite unforgiving, producing a "boing" magnified (I think) by the highly resonant quality of the drums. This is less of an issue with my 6 1/2 x 14 Black Beauty and yet, perhaps a UV2 could tighten up that ring as well without killing what makes it such a great snare.

I am not a fan of really dead sounding drums, so I am not looking to make them sound like cardboard boxes. Yet I was wondering not only about the sound, but the feel, the amount of rebound, etc., before I spring for a set.

My Tom sizes are 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, & 16x18.

Thanks folks; very much appreciated!
In my view, Legacy Maples are slightly less resonant than, for example, Classic Maples. Re-rings tend dampen overtones in my experience. Double plies will slightly dampen the overtones. But, I prefer to control excess resonance by tuning accordingly. YMMV!

Having said that, I do ike the UV1 on my Acro. Sounds good, especially with brushes, and the coating is very durable. I wouldn’t put a 2 ply on a snare drum. JMO!

Torquey

Reaction score
In my view, Legacy Maples are slightly less resonant than, for example, Classic Maples. Re-rings tend dampen overtones in my experience. Double plies will slightly dampen the overtones. But, I prefer to control excess resonance by tuning accordingly. YMMV!

Having said that, I do ike the UV1 on my Acro. Sounds good, especially with brushes, and the coating is very durable. I wouldn’t put a 2 ply on a snare drum. JMO!
Yet these are Legacy Mahogany not Legacy Maple and are incredibly resonant. You should hear the 14 x 26 bass! From the videos I have seen and the little that I have read, these UV2 heads seem to respond differently than typical double ply heads and I was just wondering in what way(s). Thank you Matched Gripper.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yet these are Legacy Mahogany not Legacy Maple and are incredibly resonant. You should hear the 14 x 26 bass! From the videos I have seen and the little that I have read, these UV2 heads seem to respond differently than typical double ply heads and I was just wondering in what way(s). Thank you Matched Gripper.
My understanding is that mahogany (most likely African mahogany), is slightly softer and less resonant than N. American maple. A lot has to do with the interior finish. A 14x26 LM must make a very sweet rumble. As for the UV line, I can say that the coating seems a bit thinner, and perhaps less dampening, than that of Remo, but, lasts longer than Remo coating. Don’t know if that helps.

Torquey

Reaction score
My understanding is that mahogany (most likely African mahogany), is slightly softer and less resonant than N. American maple. A lot has to do with the interior finish. A 14x26 LM must make a very sweet rumble. As for the UV line, I can say that the coating seems a bit thinner, and perhaps less dampening, than that of Remo, but, lasts longer than Remo coating. Don’t know if that helps.
Rumble yes, but perhaps "tremor" is closer! Yes, every bit of information helps. Thank you.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been an Aquarian guy for years, but was sent a set of the UV2s when they were released. I gave them a shot on my Sakae Trilogies which are also three-ply drums with rings and round edges. I really, really like them. Lots of depth and punch but just a bit more controlled than single-ply heads. The coating doesn't cover the collar either, which I think makes them a bit more lively than normal two-ply heads. They've been on my toms for almost a year of heavy recording, and they still sound and look great.

Here are a couple of examples. The tones are pretty dead here though. I've got some tape on each drum because I actually needed to tame the resonance a little bit. The bloom of each note was just taking up too much space on these recordings. I'm sure these sounds are much drier than what you're looking for, but I'm pretty confident these heads can give you what you're after. I'll try to get a recording this week of them tuned up a bit and wide open.

http://instagr.am/p/CEuRdaoAgL2/
http://instagr.am/p/CIeaq_1HJsW/
http://instagr.am/p/CFkC84egwMh/
http://instagr.am/p/CFfwlbnnWNq/
This one has a UV2 on the snare as well:

http://instagr.am/p/CIMQG11HB5W/

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got your 13-14-16 (the 18 is a long story :angry:) with UV2 tops and clear G1 bottoms right here:

Torquey

Reaction score
I've been an Aquarian guy for years, but was sent a set of the UV2s when they were released. I gave them a shot on my Sakae Trilogies which are also three-ply drums with rings and round edges. I really, really like them. Lots of depth and punch but just a bit more controlled than single-ply heads. The coating doesn't cover the collar either, which I think makes them a bit more lively than normal two-ply heads. They've been on my toms for almost a year of heavy recording, and they still sound and look great.

Here are a couple of examples. The tones are pretty dead here though. I've got some tape on each drum because I actually needed to tame the resonance a little bit. The bloom of each note was just taking up too much space on these recordings. I'm sure these sounds are much drier than what you're looking for, but I'm pretty confident these heads can give you what you're after. I'll try to get a recording this week of them tuned up a bit and wide open.

http://instagr.am/p/CEuRdaoAgL2/
http://instagr.am/p/CIeaq_1HJsW/
http://instagr.am/p/CFkC84egwMh/
http://instagr.am/p/CFfwlbnnWNq/
This one has a UV2 on the snare as well:

http://instagr.am/p/CIMQG11HB5W/
What an informative response! Thank you so much for the commentary and the videos. I would love to hear them wide open if that is not inconvenient for you to do. I am "subtracting the tape" in my mind, and these might be perfect. Thank you again!

Torquey

Reaction score
I've got your 13-14-16 (the 18 is a long story :angry:) with UV2 tops and clear G1 bottoms right here:

Excellent! Great sound on that kit! Thank you for posting. I'd love to hear about that 18......

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Great sound on that kit! Thank you for posting. I'd love to hear about that 18......
Here's the whole story:

Torquey

Reaction score
Here's the whole story:
Great story. I can't imagine how much vintage gear gets trashed!

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What an informative response! Thank you so much for the commentary and the videos. I would love to hear them wide open if that is not inconvenient for you to do. I am "subtracting the tape" in my mind, and these might be perfect. Thank you again!
Here you go!

No compression on this recording, but there is a little bit of EQ scooping to account for mics and room. I cut a couple dB around 750hz on each tom, high passed just about every between 50-100hz, and low passed the OHs around 15Khz.

Still a little too crunchy, but I hope this is useful.

Drums are tuned to Tunebot's suggested Medium Resonance settings.

Torquey

Reaction score
Here you go!

No compression on this recording, but there is a little bit of EQ scooping to account for mics and room. I cut a couple dB around 750hz on each tom, high passed just about every between 50-100hz, and low passed the OHs around 15Khz.

Still a little too crunchy, but I hope this is useful.

Drums are tuned to Tunebot's suggested Medium Resonance settings.
VERY tuneful! I like your playing and love that drum sound. Now I have to investigate this Tunebot thing... THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
VERY tuneful! I like your playing and love that drum sound. Now I have to investigate this Tunebot thing... THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!!!
Thanks so much!

I find the Tunebot to be a helpful tool for exploring new tunings and head relationships that I'm not normally familiar with. I'm not a great tuner by any means, but I can usually get a drum into the zone I prefer pretty quickly using just ears and feel. The Tunebot helps me get different sounds pretty quickly.

I certainly wouldn't say its an essential purchase, but it can be pretty fun.